🐤 I Don't Hate You - Part 3

⛔️Please read: I know some of you were a bit upset with how I made Yoohyeon the character that ends up cheating on the reader, so I edited the earlier chapters and gave the character a generic name instead (Olivia). I totally get disliking Yoohyeon being depicted as the villain in stories like this, it hurts me to read about any of the members doing anything awful to the reader. I only initially used her name because I wanted a face claim that you'd all know for the character, but I took her out for the sake of our well-being 😌

Finally getting some closure from Sua was relieving, but I knew we still had a long way to go before our relationship was completely repaired. I still had plenty of unanswered questions to ask her, including the kiss and the whole Olivia situation. I had been so caught up in my emotions that night that I didn't even think to ask for an explanation for either. Maybe her earlier warnings about Olivia being a bad person were genuine after all. As for the kiss part, maybe she was just caught up in the moment and didn't know what else to do to make me listen. Either way, I couldn't focus on that right now.

Before we went our separate ways that night, Sua agreed it'd be best for us to take some time apart so that I could think things over before deciding how I wanted to move on from there. I had a feeling the road ahead would be long and hard, but I knew we were both willing to make things work in spite of that. Even if that meant starting from scratch like the day we first met and working our way back to how close we were a year ago. Or at least something near it, because I knew it'd never really be the same again.

The rest of that night I spent rehearsing what I wanted to say to Olivia while fighting hard to keep myself from spiraling into a full mental breakdown. Talking with Sua had obviously been emotionally taxing, but at least my problems with her served as a distraction from my problems with Olivia. Though it was only temporary, and that became very clear when the heartbreak started to settle in. Maybe we didn't have quite the bond Sua and I did, but Olivia had been there for me when she wasn't. She was beside me when I needed someone the most and, even if she didn't really love me, I'd never be able to forget that. She was the only thing that kept me from losing myself completely.

All of that made it almost impossible confronting her. I wanted to believe that she really was as good as I thought she was all along and that my mind was playing tricks on me the night I caught her behind the gym with that guy. So I almost gave her the benefit of the doubt when she acted surprised. But then she got angry at me for accusing her, saying that I didn't really see what I thought I saw and that I was making things up. That night was the first time she ever raised her voice at me. It wasn't until some reflecting afterwards when I realized that was also likely the first time I had seen the real Olivia. The first time she had shown me who she truly was. I used to think the possessive thing she had going on was attractive, but when she clung to me before I could walk away, still begging me to stay after lying straight to my face, I finally recognized it for what it truly was. Toxic. Whether she loved me or not, she was still desperate not to lose one of the only good things in her life, even knowing she didn't deserve it.

I still don't know if this made the breakup better or worse than if she had simply fallen out of love with me. On one hand, I dodged a bullet by finding out who she really was before committing to anything further, but, on the other, I lost the only source of happiness I had. The crushing reality that all of those happy memories we made together might've been fabricated convinced me this outcome was worse. Much worse. Because now on top of the heartbreak, I felt embarrassed, naive, stupid for even being heartbroken over a love that probably never existed in the first place.

When I got back home that night, the impending breakdown was impossible to avoid. It hurt like hell and the days following were nothing short of torture. Seeing her face every day at school would instantly cause all my emotions to resurface in one excruciating rush. It certainly didn't help when she started going out with the guy she cheated on me with. She really had no shame or remorse, one day gaslighting me into thinking there was nothing between them only to turn around and date him not even a week later.