🐶 Wonder - Part 2

That following summer may have been one of the happiest times of my life. After that night at the diner, things felt a lot lighter with Yoohyeon being out of a relationship and with me finally coming out to her. There was much less stress in our lives. We were free. We spent the days doing everything we've ever wanted. Just her and I. It nearly felt like we were together. She became more touchy and flirty towards me too. It was truly too good to be true.

I knew the feeling that I could never get tired of her company meant I was truly in love. I just wondered what it felt like to be loved back.

It was a few weeks after that summer when we both decided to meet up at one of our favorite spots. Right outside the city was a long open field with huge power lines extending across the countryside. It made a great view for the sunset and the stars because there was little to no trees or light pollution. We placed a blanket out over the grass and laid down next to each other, just enjoying each other's company and watching the bright pinks and oranges bleed across the sky like one giant paint canvas.

We stayed like that for a while until Yoohyeon decided to speak. "I'm thankful to have you." Is the first thing she said. "I never thought I could be happy again after what happened... but, if anything... with you I feel even happier than I ever felt with him." She finished and I could feel the sincerity in her words. Hearing that sentence leave her mouth was one of the most reassuring things I've ever experienced. I had always made a strong effort to make sure she was happy, so to finally know that she felt it made my heart swell in my chest.

It gave me the confidence to finally tell her how I truly feel. "You deserve to be happy... knowing that I helped at all means more than you could ever know." I took a deep breath, fully aware that she was staring at me intently the entire time. "As stupid as it sounds, I think someone like you deserves someone that loves you as much as you love them... if not more." My eyes searched the sky as I thought of the right things to say without making her upset. "I think he was a waste of your time and love if he never really loved you back..." I took another breath, "you're too beautiful to be mistreated." Right after I said it, I wanted to hit myself for letting that last part slip. I felt my anxiety build up in my chest. What if it was too much too soon?

Luckily I didn't have to worry for much longer when she asked, "You think I'm beautiful?" Based on her tone, I could tell my words meant something to her. Had she been waiting for me to say that? Or was she surprised?

I looked over into her eyes to show her that I was being completely honest. "Yes." I told her simply. I was too afraid to see her reaction, so my gaze drifted back to the stars above. "You deserve someone that treats you like a goddess." I said without shame or embarrassment. In my eyes, it was the truth. She deserved someone that loved her so much they would never even think of hurting her. Obviously I hoped that could be me, but at this point I didn't think she would ever see me like that.

It was quiet until a few minutes later when I heard Yoohyeon start moving. I glanced to my right to see her already leaning over me. Before I could react or even begin to question what was happening, her face blocked my view and I felt a soft, warm sensation against my lips. When I finally realized what was happening, my heart dropped in my chest and I felt my pulse quicken. Once the shock died down enough for me to actually move, my eyes shut immediately in bliss and I allowed myself to kiss her back. I had waited my entire life for this moment, planned it out in my head, imagined what it would feel like. Obviously it was better than I could've ever imagined, but what caught me off guard was the fact that she initiated it. Never in a million years would I have guessed that she would be the one to kiss me first. But God, I knew I would never get tired of it.

After the first kiss, Yoohyeon laid back beside me and we just stared into each other's eyes for a moment. I wondered what was going on in that perfect little mind of hers. I couldn't know how she felt about me but I was sure she now knew how I felt about her. The way I looked back at her like she was the only girl in the world.