🐱🐼 Tragedy - Handong/Dami

Handong or Dami x Female Reader (undecided at this moment)
Marvel/Spidergirl au
Status - Ongoing (1 part) ⚠️
Warnings ~ mentions of death (no major character death), violence, blood & gore, eventual fluff

"Tragedy.
What else can I call it?
What more need be said?"

The rain soaked into my hair and trickled down my face, mixing with the fresh tears and blood on my cheeks. The night felt still, yet the world around me was anything but. I stood there at the top of that building, unable to move as I fully took in the reality.

Blue and red is all I saw.

Blue. The raindrops, the police lights in the distance, the glow from the screen in front of me showing the horrors that I had brought upon the city and the people I had sworn to protect.

"The damage. The destruction.
You saw it with your own eyes."

Red. The blood, the fire engulfing the streets, the mask laying at my feet that I tore from my head in an attempt to stop this suffocating feeling. The same mask that once was a symbol of hope: of standing up for what is right and protecting the ones you love.

Now it lay face down in the rubble, broken and discarded... along with all it stood for.

"When will people wake up and realize
That everywhere Spidergirl goes,
Chaos and calamity ensue?
Everything Spidergirl touches
Comes to ruin."

A wise woman once told me, "with great power, comes great responsibility." But no one warned me of the day when my power would be responsible for all of this. The same thing that I had fought so hard to prevent... now was caused by my own doing. No one else was to blame.

"And we, the innocents,
Are left to pick up the pieces."

What was I to them but an agent of chaos? A bringer of death? How could I possibly protect them when my own power -my own existence- brought forth evils that might've never threatened this world had I not been in it?

This world didn't need Spidergirl.

This world was ruined by Spidergirl.

~

"It's been two years since tragedy struck here in New York City, which also means two years since the disappearance of the masked vigilante some citizens used to call their hero, Spidergirl."

The news reporter's voice filled the room of my small apartment. "No matter what you make of her sudden absence, many will tell you they feel betrayed by this figure they had so quickly learned to put their trust in." I glanced over at the TV just as the broadcast started showing footage from an interview taken on the street where a protest was happening. "In this city's greatest moment of need, where was she?" One of the citizens stepped up to speak. She was holding a sign with an image of my mask crossed out in thick red paint that resembled blood smears. "She promised to protect us. But she caused this tragedy. And then she gave up on u-"

Click.

"Are you trying to make yourself feel like shit?" In the reflection of the now black tv screen, I could see a girl with long black hair and cat-like features standing behind me in an all black, slim, leather suit. Turning in my seat to face her, I tried not to act so startled by her presence. Beside her, blue curtains flapped in the light breeze flowing through the open window: presumably her point of entry. She had to be the first person who managed to go undetected by my spidey-senses. Either that or I was just rusty.

"Of course not." I stood and took the remote from her hand, pointing it at her before replying, "I have you for that." Not waiting to see her eye roll (something she used to do so often, it had practically become her trademark), I turned and placed the remote back down on the small coffee table in front of the couch.

"Is that why you think I'm here?" She asked, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed.

"To make me feel like shit?... I mean, I was just making a joke, but now that I think about it," I paused for a few seconds, making it seem like I was pondering my answer, "Yeah, probably." My shoulders shrugged and I leaned back on the couch, propping my feet up on the table and popping a piece of candy into my mouth.

I had no idea why Handong decided to show up here after 2 years, but I honestly couldn't care less. She wasn't exactly the most trustworthy person I'd ever met. The only redeeming point she got was for not revealing my true identity to the entire world. But, for all I know, she only refrained from ratting me out so I didn't do the same to her... to the Catwoman.

She scoffed at my answer and I didn't have to see her to know she was giving me one of her infamous judgmental looks. "Well, you definitely look like shit." Handong muttered, leaning over and snatching the bag of candy from my hands. I was ready to protest when she threw it in the trash, but I didn't get a word out before she said, "As much as I hate to admit this," she sighed and made what I assumed to be her attempt at a genuine expression, "I came here because I need your help."

It took everything in me not to laugh in her face. "You," I smiled sarcastically while pointing at her, "need my help?" I pointed back at myself. "Do you know how many times I needed your help and you betrayed me?" I looked at her incredulously. She couldn't be serious right now.

"Look," she walked around the coffee table to take a seat next to me on the couch before continuing, "I would apologize for all the things I've done to you, but, one... you wouldn't believe that I was being sincere," she didn't have to argue with me there, "and two... this is bigger than you or me." She finished, looking at me with a sort of hope that I hadn't seen in a long time.

As much as I didn't want anything to do with Handong, I was still willing to hear her out. She wasn't exactly a big fan of me (I suppose we had that in common), so I knew it would take something major for her to seek me out for help. Although, I also knew it would take a lot to try and get me back into that suit (and not just because of all the Skittles I've eaten in the past 2 years).

I sighed and reluctantly replied, "Fine. Tell me what happened."

~

Okay first, I know Catwoman is a whole different universe than Spidergirl, but making Handong any other hero/villain felt wrong so shhhh. Second, I haven't decided the love interest for this story yet because I haven't determined the entire plot yet (lmao typical, ik).