🐤 Renegade Runaway - Sua

Sua x Female Reader
Wild West/time travel au
Status - Finished (1 part)
Warnings ~ angst, mentions of violence, abuse, death, & war,  fluff ending

"All this man has done is lie and cheat and kill." The harsh words left the woman's lips like venom, poisoning the man beneath her black boot with guilt. Raising her pistol, she positioned the barrel of the gun between his eyes. Standing there over him, triumphant-looking with her pink hair flowing in the rough wind, she could have easily been mistaken for an angel cast down from the Heavens. Only the red satin dress and burning hatred in her eyes revealed the hidden evil beneath those imaginary wings and glowing halo.

That was my very last encounter with the one they called the 'Renegade Runaway' before the world changed forever. It was a long and tedious journey up until that point, one that started even before I traveled to her time, all the way back to the very day I was born. The country—the world was war torn, the human race on the brink of extinction. One final hope remained in the potential of time-travel, one that I ended up dedicating my life to. Though the final mission to prevent the end of times promised nothing for certain—not even a return trip home—I volunteered to see it through without hesitance knowing that my future was not guaranteed had I conceded to the Earth's doomed fate. The task was simple enough: prevent one murder that had been committed over three-hundred years ago. After centuries of research, it had been decided that this very moment was the one that had sent our world on the path of destruction and that changing the outcome could potentially prolong the survival of mankind. My one single chance to test that theory started the first day I met the Renegade Runaway.

Waking from a deep, dark slumber, I found myself laid out across the grainy desert ground, head resting against the roots of an old tree with a dusty brown cowboy hat placed over my face to shield my pale skin from the ruthless sun rays cast down from the clear sky above. The dirt and sand crunched under my boots when I finally stood upright and the hot wind whipped through my mid-length black hair. Though I had studied this very town in this exact time period, suddenly being stripped from my own time and placed here, I was rather disoriented. It never felt quite real. At least not at first.

A nearby whinnying brought my attention to a horse that stood patiently beside me, anchored to a tree by the lead attached to its harness. It was a beast of an animal, standing a few feet taller than me, showing off its muscular body while shifting its weight from leg to leg. Though I had never seen one in person, I knew them well. The creatures often came up in categories such as farming, transportation, and warfare in my research of the Wild West.

Gathering the lead in my hands, the animal hesitantly let me take my place on its back and followed my commands when I spurred it on towards civilization. Dust kicked up with every thud of the horse's hooves, blowing across the never-ending desert floor that blurred with waves of heat in the distance, obscuring the horizon line. The air stung my eyes and tasted like salt, leaving my throat dry and my body parched. Even in the short journey to the local square, beads of sweat had accumulated on my forehead from the harsh climate—one that closely resembled the state of the entire planet back in my time.

As I neared the town, square-shaped wooden buildings faded by the sun eventually surrounded me, accompanied by the bustle of western folk crossing the empty stretch between shops in front of me. Just like the history book said, everyone here had a role to play. It was a community that, in a lot of ways, relied upon the efforts of every single individual to thrive. New faces were unusual and those that were born here almost always stayed here. Maybe it wasn't everyone's idea of paradise, but it was the only thing they knew, so they couldn't possibly picture something greater. There was this sense of acceptance, or rather, resignation. Most people gave into it, but a select few stood in resistance. In particular, women who desired more than being at a man's side with no power her whole life rejected the traditional ways of the Wild West.