🐤 Spark - Sua

Sua x Female Reader
Star Wars au
Status - Finished (1 part)
Warnings ~ angst, violence, death, mentions of war, fluff

"We are the spark that'll light the fire
that'll burn down the First Order."

A deep voice cut through the distant sound of wind outside our hideout that warned of an oncoming storm. "She knows what you are, doesn't she?" The young rebel it belonged to stepped through the doorway, her combat boots thudding as she approached. The chill air from the open doors seemed to cling to her and follow in her wake. Not long after, the doors slid closed, hissing as if reacting to the rapidly declining temperature the changing weather brought with it.

"I trust her." My reply echoed through the abandoned outpost. The building was once used by the Empire, long ago in the war against the Old Republic. It settled just on the outskirts of town, far enough away to remain inconspicuous, but close enough to keep a watch over the residents within.

"That doesn't matter." Her voice grew cold and firm like the metal walls surrounding us. Still, I remained unphased. It was the right decision, we needed allies and telling her was the exact boost of confidence she needed to join the Resistance. "You realize all you've done is put her in more danger." She drew my attention to her with the implication of her words. Her eyes appeared just as stern as her tone and I knew she thought I was being reckless (and likely was annoyed by how nonchalant I seemed about this whole situation).

"Doing the right thing comes with risks." I matched her tone, showing her that I had put plenty of thought into the decision rather than making it on a whim (the latter being what she likely assumed). "This is war, Dami." The silence following brought a sort of chill that even the autumn weather failed to rival. "Safety is an illusion." I finished, leaving the short girl frozen in her spot, unable to find a worthy reply. It was reality, after all. Being too cautious and playing our cards close to our chest was a luxury we couldn't afford much longer. No matter how optimistic Dami and I may have been, we knew two women couldn't defeat an entire army on their own.

Feeling the air finally get to me, I grabbed my black cloak before starting my journey to the city. The long sleeves brought a temporary warmth to the outside of my body, but an icy sting loomed within. Just as the dark clouds brewed, an ever-present darkness billowed, just waiting for someone to stoke the fire so that the big, black boot could finally stomp out the flames once and for all. I could feel it. This was merely the beginning. The calm before the storm.

Though it didn't last long, a crack of thunder booming above like the pounding of a war drum, eager to signify the start of impending chaos. Rain followed immediately after, willing me to draw my hood over my head as I neared the center courtyard. The liquid was fast to puddle in dips on the dirt ground, reflecting what little sunlight pierced through the layered clouds above. Surrounding metal buildings appeared more silver, rather than their normal dull, grey tint, from the sheen of water now coating their exterior, giving off the false indication of newness.

Like most other mining planets, the civilian cities here were left to rot and crumble with age along with its workers while the First Order regularly built modern, luxurious towns for the wealthy and powerful. Royal cities, gambling planets, military outposts and the like all held the presence and promise of war. While the less fortunate and, quote, 'more likely to rebel' did all the back-breaking work, those lazy, arrogant pigs got to sit high and mighty simply because of their loyalty to the First Order. This hierarchy took shape in more forms than one and yet another presented itself in front of my eyes when I reached the center of the town.

A crowd had formed around the fountain directly in the middle of the courtyard; everyday workers, shop-owners, mothers, and even children watching the public display that now played out in front of them. No one seemed to mind the rain as it trickled down their faces and mixed with the dirt caking their features after a day of hard work. They appeared too captivated by the scene to even pay attention to the storm lurking overhead. I found myself doing the same once I nudged my way to the front of the wall of bodies and finally got a glimpse at what was happening.