🐱 Would You Mind? - Handong

Handong x Female Reader
Soulmate au
Status - Finished
Warnings - angst

This imagine is based off of the song "Would You Mind" by Friday Pilots Club. I've attached it above if you want to listen to it while reading :)

Sitting there at the bar of some expensive hotel, my eyes remained glued to the gold band on my ring finger as I fidgeted with it, slipping it off and back on. A gut-wrenching feeling weighed heavy on my chest when the realization that it no longer meant anything finally hit me. The promise it symbolized had been broken and my heart with it. So why was it so hard for me to take it off and discard it like my love had so easily done to me?

"You look like you could use a drink," the woman behind the counter made herself known, slinging a small, white towel over her shoulder and taking her place in front of me after she finished wiping down the opposite side of the bar. The dirty rag might've looked out of place hanging over her nice black suit vest and white collared shirt had her occupation not been obvious. Though the dining area was mostly empty in the late hours of the night, everyone I had come across since my arrival just a few minutes ago looked well-off, and maybe that was intentional considering the tatted, purple-haired woman before me didn't seem like the type to dress so formally voluntarily. Still, the outfit suited her—quite well, I might add.

Her patient eyes and seemingly laidback demeanor were oddly comforting and I found myself considering a drink for the first time in my nearly thirty years of living. Seeing the effects it had on my loved ones, I never was too inclined to try the stuff for myself. But, tonight, my typical source of relief from the pain life brought on was too busy intoxicating her ex-boyfriend with the love she once swore only to me, leaving me no other option but to numb the sting of heartbreak with one of nature's pain-killers. So I asked the bartender to give me something that'd make me forget.

Forget what? I wasn't sure. Maybe everything.

The small woman replied with a sympathetic smile and I knew she could tell I wasn't exactly an expert on the stuff like she obviously was. Still, I somehow felt confident that she wouldn't let me go completely overboard. Or maybe I just hoped she wouldn't. My judgement wasn't exactly trustworthy at the moment... especially considering the woman I was so sure would never lie to me had apparently been doing it a year now. Maybe I preferred the bartender to let me go overboard.

A glass that looked like it cost more than my house was set on the dark, wooden bar directly in front of me and I watched as the woman's slim fingers clutched a bottle, inverting it to pour a rich, honey colored liquor over the perfectly square cube of ice that sat in the middle of the cup. She tilted it back once the liquid reached a little less than halfway and placed the bottle back neatly on the shelf lit by blue neon lights behind her. I stared at the drink for a moment, almost immediately regretting my decision.

But then flashes of memories invaded my mind: a bottle of wine, an old leather couch, a red lipstick smear on the rim of a wine glass, a soft, tipsy smile, a delicate hand brushing across my cheek, a drunken, yet sweet kiss, and a feeling that was once my favorite in the world, now all had my stomach twisting uneasily. That was no longer the reality. And the nagging feeling that it never truly was brought my cold fingers to the base of the glass sitting on the bar top. Raising it to my mouth, I tilted my head back, allowing the liquid to pass by my lips and slide across my tongue. The bitter taste made me squint my eyes and press my tongue to the roof of my mouth. Swallowing quickly, I let out a wince as the liquor travelled smoothly through my throat, burning all the way down. It didn't taste great, but the electrifying sensation it sent through my veins was enough to distract my thoughts for a while and eventually dull the ache in my heart.