1. Blind Sided

Nephele
It's been months since Eris killed his father. And by months, I mean two of them.

Time moves extraordinarily slow these days, almost like it had in that cellar. In my bones, I know my days have grown weary because I essentially refuse to speak to him unless absolutely necessary.

I'm not even sure why I miss it. Eris wasn't a sparkling conversationalist, rude and serious, always concerned with his next step. It's not as if I haven't spent any time with friends either. It must be nearly every weekend that I go to visit Cressida and Tarquin. Three days a week, Lucien visits me and helps me train. Delia stops by every Sunday for brunch with me. I'm by no means alone.

I just feel so lonely.

I don't consider myself a particularly proud person, but damnit, I can't stomach forgiving Eris, though it feels quite tempting at times. He still leaves a bouquet of lavender at my door every Tuesday before his weekly meetings with the night court, a small note attached letting me know I'm free to join him if I wish. I should toss the lavender into a waist bin, but I can never bring myself to.

Which is infuriating.

Of course, I refuse him, though I find myself missing the politics. Some nights, when Eris is asleep or bathing, I sneak into his study and read scout reports. It's nothing he wouldn't show me had I deigned for ask him, but the last thing I need to do is talk to him. My resolve will shatter if I take that step.

I find it odd how he just leaves that sort of sensitive information lying around so openly, like he wanted me to read it. I suppose he hadn't a reason to hide it though. His residence is completely protected, impenetrable.

"The nobles grow rowdy," Lucien mentions casually as we stretch for our morning training session. I've noticed this is something he does, dancing around what he really wants to say in hopes of tricking it out of you, presenting seemingly useless information and having your expression. No wonder Tamlin had told me they used to call him the fox, so clever and cunning behind that friendly face.

Tamlin and I are friends too, I might say. After Eris had requested Tamlin's presence before telling Lucien of his true father- an additional means of protection should he explode- Tamlin had agreed on the condition that I was brought as well. After trying and failing to pitch his input on me ruling Creagach, Tamlin and I had had tea for a while after while Eris, Delia, Lucien, and Helion talked.

Lucien, to his immense credit, didn't explode as Eris told him the truth. He seemed to rather reside within himself, asking a moment alone before Delia followed after him into the woods after an hour, Helion trailing behind her more awkwardly than I had ever seen the High Lord. Eris took one glance back at Tamlin and I before sighing, following after his brother too.

Now, the fox was reborn from the flames of the man he thought he was, ready to play politics as the new heir of day. I just shrug at him. "Sort of what nobles do," I reply. "Complain."

"They want their High Lord to officially be coronated," Lucien says bluntly, tying his hair back from his face. "I almost couldn't blame them."

I roll my eyes. "Just say what you're thinking so I can decide if I will go easy on you during sparring."

"Eris needs to be crowned," Lucien says, stretching his quad. "But he stalls. Why do you think that is?"

I shrug again. "How should I know? I tried awfully hard to understand what drives Eris to do anything. I came up empty," I reply, hiding my bitterness as I crack my back.

"That's because you made yourself blind to protect your heart," Lucien says. "But it's easy enough for an outsider to see."

I groan. "So why don't you fix it then?" I prompt. "If you are so all knowing?"