14. You Cannot Force the Stars to Align

Eris

Lucien indeed does escort us to Night, looking just about ready to gag at how I stare after Nephele, walking a cool five feet in front of us. How am I supposed to help it? Her gown was stunning, mauve silk that hugged her every curve, only tapering off at her thighs. The bodice is plunging, complimenting the twin cutouts on her waist, her skin soft beneath my fingers.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look yet?" I whisper into her ear as we weave through the Court of Nightmares. She smirks up at me, smug with her intentions.

"No, but your eyes did," she replies sweetly, fixing a strand of my hair. "But it's always nice to hear out loud."

I roll my eyes, tucking her under my arm as we turn the corner into the meeting room. Rhysand and Feyre alone sit in the room, their hushed conversation flickering out when we enter. "Hello, Lucien," Feyre says, her brows drawn together in confusion. "I didn't realize you'd be joining us."

"I'm not," Lucien replies simply. "Just thought I'd stop in to see you both. I had wanted to ask you, Feyre, if you knew what Elain was up to tonight. I promise I won't take up too much of her time- I just think it's time we had a conversation."

I blink, glancing at Neph who looks equally as shocked. Earlier, I had even wondered how Lucien could see me and Neph, so happy now, and not even look the least bit pained. Does he intend to fold his cards in with Elain? Has he finally lost his patience? I can't tell if I'm glad for him or sad. Perhaps a bit of both.

There's an awkward silence, Feyre glancing helplessly at Rhys as the undoubtably have a mental conversation in regards to the request. Lucien looks on warily, confidence shaken, so Neph reaches out a hand to squeeze his, giving him a bitter smile. His gaze flicks to me then, and I give him a quiet nod, letting him know that we'll support him no matter what he decides he needs to do.

Lucien seems to smile a bit back, stepping closer to Neph and I as he returns his attention to Rhys and Feyre. "She's actually watching Nyx tonight- I'm afraid," Feyre tells Lucien. It's hard to tell if she's lying or not. "But let me talk to her first. I'll encourage her to reach out to you. I'll work on it, I promise."

Lucien nods, a helpless shrug. "In my time in the night court, I've learned that you cannot force the stars to align," he replies profoundly, a quiet laugh. "If you seek to protect her heart, I fully understand, but let her know that she is as free as she has always been to make her own choices apart from me. If she ever decides she wants to speak, tell her I will always be here, but I cannot promise that I will be waiting for her."

My mouth drops open a bit before I fix my face. Lucien was never spineless, but he also was never the one to lay something out so bluntly. I was always the more blunt of us. But I suppose he did always love keeping his options open whether it be politically or romantically. Frankly, I surprised he waited this long before declaring his intention to move on.

"Lucien-" Feyre starts, Rhysand notably silent beside her. Something lingers in his eyes as he stares back at Lucien, unvoiced but impressed.

"It's alright," Lucien cuts in. "I don't mean to upset you, nor take up anymore of your meeting time. I just meant to relay that message. I'll be on my way."

"Are you off to Day?" Nephele asks.

"Unfortunately," Lucien replies. Yes, I've suspected for some time now that Helion's struggle to wedge into a paternal role for Lucien has made him a bit uncomfortable. Hell, he's not even my father and I still feel a bit weird about the role he's filling in my life. But if he makes mother happy, I cannot complain. "Why? Do you need him to loan you more books?"