7. Sweeping Silence

Nephele

"And that doesn't scare you?" I whisper absently, my hands shaking in his.

He shakes his head. "The only thing that scares me about that is other people finding out. All the more ways you can protect yourself will never make me fear you," he replies.

"It terrifies me," I whisper, too afraid to look at him. "If I were normal... if I were weak... he never would've locked me away. I know it's not my fault, but I hate it."

I make the mistake of glancing at him, and I can hardly stand the look on his face. "He never would've been kind to you- no matter what your power," he tells me the hard truth. "But this way... this way you have the means to take him down yourself. This way, you have the means for justice. Never regret being the strongest person in the room."

I bite down on my lip, looking away.

"Be my High Lady," he asks so suddenly that my attention turns back to him. To his amber gaze. "You don't have to say yes. You don't have to forgive me. You don't have to agree to a thing if you agree to this. I just want... no, I need you. Autumn needs you. It needs not only the strength in your bones, but the strength in your mind, in your heart. I can't do it without you."

"Eris..."

"We were a team, and I wrecked that. I know I did. I'm sorry I did- even if I'm not sorry for trying to protect you from my father," he powers on, his hand still in mine. "But Autumn needs something it's never had before. It doesn't need another Beron- it needs a High Lady. It needs you."

"You're not another Beron," I mutter quietly. "You're not your father."

"I'm trying not to be," he replies honestly.

"I'm serious, Eris," I rip my hand from his, crossing my arms angrily. "You view yourself in such darkness. You never see the good. I didn't know your father very well, but as far as I can tell, the only thing you got from him was your amber eyes and your stubbornness. The rest is all you, so stop acting like you're some villain who has been fated by nature to turn sinister. You don't have a cruel bone in your body."

He stares at me for a while, his eyes raking over my face, wide and surprised. His mouth falling open a step, his body sagging against his chair. "Don't look at me like that," I mumble grumpily.

"Like what?"

"Like I'm the first good and last good thing that will walk into your life," I reply sourly.

He stares at me a bit longer, blinking. "Be my High Lady," he repeats.

"If I say yes will you get coronated as soon as we can get a ceremony planned?" I reply. "Will you start working over the nobles with me?"

"I'll set the ceremony for the middle of next week," he vows, and I purse my lips.

"One more thing," I reply.

"Anything."

"Come with me the next time I go to Summer Court," I tell him. "Tarquin needs a drinking buddy."

A stupid grin spreads across his face, and I roll my eyes. "Come on," I hop of the counter, shoving him off the stool. "We have a coronation ceremony to plan."

...

The weekend is then filled with sleepless nights, hasty letters to florists and vendors and builders to prepare the palace for the coronation. Considering that Eris and I seldom reside there, the space needed some work. Eris got to work on putting up new wards, and he left me in charge of directing the architects around the High Chambers. I wonder if it was hard for him to see his father's room without wanting to burn it to the ground. I'll admit, the urge is tempting.