35. Save For Eternity

Nephele

"A normal week," I laugh brokenly once we've winnowed home. "Am I really asking that much?"

Eris frowns. "Tamlin went too far," he strokes my face soothingly. "I'm sorry."

I shake my head. "The kidnapping had been a bit excessive, yes, but he was right," I sigh, dropping my head tiredly onto Eris' chest. "If we don't save Creagach, who will? No one else seems to care."

"You could lead them," he murmurs quietly, tipping my chin up. "I know you doubt yourself, but you are more than capable."

I huff irritably. "Don't tell me you believe in oracles too," I walk past him, headed for the bathing chambers. My body feels so tense. I'd like to relax a bit before the sky starts to rumble.

"I'm not sure if I do or not," Eris follows after me, stopping when I bend over to dump some oils into the already running bath. "But this prophecy has nothing to do with it, with you. I know you'd rule fairly there as you do here, make a difference."

"And if I don't want to rule over there," I laugh brokenly, standing back up, though I don't dare face him. "If I don't want to leave here, leave you?"

There's a slight of silence until I feel him gently grab my hips. "Neph..." he murmurs warily as I turn to meet his gaze.

"It's selfish and foolish, I know," I laugh, too afraid to meet his eyes, even as my hands cover his. "But the last thing I want is an entire ocean to separate us."

"I don't want that either," he says quietly. "We could go back and forth, between Creagach and here. We'll think of something."

"We can't abandon our land," I laugh quietly. "Ruling a court or a kingdom from across the ocean isn't a good idea."

He frowns, sorry of the idea as he considers further, looking across my face intently. "We can elect a second then," he says quietly after a second. I honestly think it's possible I misheard him. "If Creagach needs you, if you need to be there, I'll find someone to rule in our stead so that you can be queen, and I'll be your consort."

"Don't talk like that," I scold him, appalled. "You love Autumn. The land itself chose you." He suffered all his life to be able to rule this land, to serve it. I'll be damned if I let him even entertain the idea of giving it up for me.

"It chose you too," he points out. I could've forgotten that stroke of silver in that scepter the day of our coronation, indication enough that the land has given me a chance. How the hell can I turn my back on autumn now?

"I think we're where we are meant to be," I tell him, a quiet smile. A sentence has never felt so right.

"That will always be true," he vows, kissing my brow delicately. "As long as we're together."

I smile, wrapping my arms around him for an embrace, burying my head into his neck. Eris' embrace is like getting drunk off wine, soft and deep, him squeezing like he might never let go. "Get in with me," I murmur, nodding towards the bubbling tub.

"You sure?" He raises his brows. "I can't promise to keep it clean."

I snort, turning around so that he can unzip me. "I'll just start talking about my grandmother," I taunt. "That should keep you at bay." His hands freeze on my spine, and I turn around, catching the shiver on his spine.

"You're really that afraid of her?" I taunt, surprised to see him so shaken over a feeble old woman.

He swallows, continuing to unzip me. "Honestly I don't know how someone so beautiful can be descended from something so horrifying," he mutters, and I chuckle.