54. In Vain

Nephele

Nephele

Vassa gapes at the grandeur of the throne room, carved of hewn. "They certainly have a flare for the dramatics here," she clicks her tongue, her arm linked in mine.

"Yes, my brother in law doesn't quite know the meaning of subtlety," a familiar voice says. Nesta.

I smile, turning, but Vassa freezes. "I know you..." she says neutrally. "You glared at me when we first met."

"You'll have to forgive her," a lighter voice pipes in, the very similar but drastically different woman beside her. "She does that to everyone."

"And I know you..." Vassa weighs out. "Elain, is it?"

The woman nods, smiling bashfully. "And you're Vassa," she says. "My father spoke very fondly of you."

Vassa smiles quietly. "Yes, he spoke very fondly of the both of you too," she gives a grin to Nesta. "And don't worry. He warned me to expect a glare."

Nesta laughs. "You'll have to forgive me- it's something I'm working on," she says. "Elain, you remember Eris, don't you? This is Nephele, his wife, High Lady of Autumn."

Elian's attention slides to me. She really is pretty, even if she broke my brother- in- law's heart. I know she didn't quite mean to. She bows her head, manners impeccable as I smile in return. "It's so lovely to meet you," I tell her. "You're very beautiful."

The brunette blushes. "Thank you, that's quite kind," she smiles. "I love your gown." I smile down at the silken thing, mauve and printed in streaks of lightning, enough cutouts where I could barely notice the heat of the room.

"Thank you," I say appreciatively, turning to Nesta. "Where are Gwyn and Emerie? It has been so long since I have seen them."

Nesta shakes her head. "This isn't a good place for Gwyn," she explains. I'm not entirely sure exactly what she means by that, but it rings true enough. Gwyn was among one of the purest people I've ever met in spirit. I could see why they might shield her from such a place, though I'm sure she could handle it. "Emerie stayed behind with her out of solidarity." And what a kind and loyal friend Emerie was, also pure of heart and mind. It's no wonder Nesta is so fond of them.

I nod. "Is that where the Shadowsinger is too?" I ask. He wasn't in today's meeting which I had wondered over. Not that he talked a ton, but he usually had a few remarks on his spy reports or miscellaneous brooding comments here and there.

"I'm not sure where Az is," she answers, brow furrowed. "I think Rhys might've asked him to stay behind tonight." Elain's eyes briefly narrow before they are replaced by a far more benign expression. I wonder if I imagined the look.

I laugh easily though. "Wherever he is," I begin. "I'm sure he's happier there than he ever would've been in our meeting."

Nesta snorts. "I know that's the truth," she says.