39. Blind Sided

Eris

"I never pegged you as a man of religion."

I shrug, slipping my fingers into hers as we walk the halls of the palace towards the conference room. "My mother and I used to go to the temple every Wednesday when I was younger. I always figured that we had to come from somewhere. There had to be a mother of creation," I explain. "But personal affiliation isn't why I invited the High Priestess to join our meetings with the nobles."

Nephele nods. "She's one of our biggest supporters," she thinks aloud. "With whatever miracle occurred the day of coronation, we have a stepping stone to establishment."

"Exactly," I answer. "The people of Autumn are deeply religious. They never subscribed to complete piety of their High Lord, even when it was my father. I wondered if it was at all possible to charm them, but it seems we have found the passage to their hearts." Nephele certainly knew the way into their favor, her easy smiles and relaxing demeanor.

"They like that we defend them most of all, stand up for them abroad and domestically," Nephele speculates. "I think they've at last fallen for your overprotective devotion."

I roll my eyes as we round to the corridor. One of our knights stops us, gnawing his lip nervously. "My Lord," he bows once before turning to me. "My Lady."

"What is it Sir?" Neph asks, her brows tugging together.

"I'd be remised not to share that Lord Burton has... brought a special guest to the meeting today- I can have him removed if you'd like-"

"Nonsense," I answer, the wave of my hand. "Who is the guest?"

The knight hesitated further, at last meeting my gaze. "Your brother," he answers regretfully. "Prince Darian."

My stomach sinks, my vision flickering like the slip of flame.

Darian?

I could've thought him dead if I didn't know better, but Lev had been alone that day he had attacked Neph and I.

They didn't want me, he had cried.

"Thank you, Sir," I tell the knight stiffly. "We will handle it." He bows again, scampering off to his post.

"So that's their play," Nephele whispers, laughing indignantly. "They back your brother if he reaches for the crown?"

"It's not that simple. Autumn cannot be ruled without the power in our family," I explain. "Which means they would have to kill both of us to seize it."

Neph's brow furrows. "They won't do it, right?" She asks. "The people of autumn would never support it."

"It's an intimidation tactic," I confirm. "And a good one. They mean to put me in a position where if I turn him away, I'm practically admitting to my hand in my father's death."

"They aren't happy that we raised their taxes," she sputters, crossing his arm. "Greedy bastards."

"The nobles only have as much power as they claim," I tell her, shaking my head. "They know that. They're desperate. The people grew sick of their lazing during the war, how they rolled over for my father."

Neph nods. "The meeting is starting," she whispers from the alcove we've burrowed in.

"What do you want to do?"

By then, a snark grin has crept across Neph's face. "Intimidate him right back."

...

"Good Morning," Nephele brightly at the nobles as we enter, me on her heels, glowering at everyone. Only a few of the nobles return her greeting, the few whom had been kind to us at the wedding. They would be on my good list.

She blinks dumbly at Darian. "By the Cauldron, is that you Darius?" She asks brightly, smiling at my brother. His eye twitches to be misnamed, but it's an even bigger blow to the ego to try and correct her. "It's been a while, hasn't it? I had nearly thought you dead."

I pull out her chair for her, and she thanks me tenderly as if she couldn't wait to get off her feet as I take my seat beside her. "How's your head?" He asks her dryly, referencing the last time they had met. When he had struck her down and dragged her to my father the night I assumed my position as high lord.

"I find it always hurts a bit worse with you near," Nephele smiles easily. "What a strange phenomenon?"

"Why are you here, Kid?" I ask dryly.

Darian shrugs, turning his attention to me. "I figured you could use the backup," he answers casually. "I don't know what Autumn would do if something happened to their new High Pair. The chain of command should never be too terribly separated."

"Oh, I agree," I answer with a cool smile, so casually tapping Nephele's belly. She was so very far from pregnant, but the illusion of an heir on the way is as good as the real thing in this scenario. Besides, no one will have the courage to ask what my hand patting her stomach means, how her fingers cover mine as we share a smile. Neph didn't call us a court of foxes for nothing. No one would ever be so direct as to ask, but they would certainly infer based off my every movement.

And infer they did. Glances were exchanged across the room as I retract my hand, as if I hadn't meant to give something away. Darian's jaw ticked, his gaze set cleanly on Neph's tummy. Once Neph and I had an heir, he would be that much further down the chain of command. It's hard to gain the support of an entire court when your reign is stepped off from killing a baby or a pregnant woman.

Call it a security protocol that Neph and I crafted this illusion, but I'm getting into a funny habit of letting people think Neph is pregnant.

"Anyways," Neph says blushingly, as if I had embarrassed her. "High Priestess, I'm so glad that you could join us today. Let this be the start of a long blooming relationship we might have with the temple and the crown."

Miralda nods, her maroon hood slipping deeper down her face. "I am honored to be here," she answers. "The temple celebrated this union between this High Pair and the Land. The people celebrate it too, bringing their children to behold the scepter where it suspends in the temple."

"Our people's faith and devotion to the Mother of Creation is truly inspiring," I answer her. "Our people are something of a wonder. They could move mountains with their resilience."

"Then, I suspect their approval means a great deal to you, My Lord," she smiles. The nobles shift in their seats.

"It does," I answer. "Let's begin."