6. Unstoppable

Eris

I'm not sure what time it is when she winnows home, but I know I'm nearly asleep on my pile of papers in the living room when she snaps in, startling me awake. She squints in the darkness. "Eris?" She slurs, swaying a bit on her feet.

I frown, slipping to my feet. "You're drunk?"

She doesn't answer, still looking me over, glancing at the papers scattered across the sofa, the bleary look in my eyes. "You stayed up for me?"

It's answer enough. She is drunk, but I'm glad she had fun. The smile on her face tells me enough. "Of course, I did," I yawn, raking my fingers through my hair. Like I could go to bed without knowing she got home safe. "We should get you to bed." I hold out a guiding hand which she promptly ignores, wrapping her arm around my neck, leaning her head on my shoulder.

"Lead the way, Hot Stuff," she says astutely, drawing a laugh from my lips. I missed her condescending nicknames.

"So you had fun then?" I ask, leading her towards her room. She nods eagerly.

"They're all so sexy and badass," she muses woefully. "But don't worry, Eris. I didn't flirt with them. I'm a loyal woman." Shes teasing, but it still warms my soul so much that I smile at my feet.

"Good," I reply to her because she won't remember this tomorrow. "I don't know what I would do if you finally got smart and realized you deserve better than me."

She steals my glasses, sliding them clumsily onto our face. "Do I look smart now?" She slurs cutely, batting her lashes in attempts to see out of the frames.

"Incredibly smart," I murmur, watching her straighten them over her pointed ears, an adorable look of concentration on her face.

"You won't let me walk into a wall, right?" She asks.

"Of course I won't," I reply, tucking her hair behind her ear as I guide her into her room.

"Good," she grins. "Because I can't see anything with these on."

I laugh, taking them back, slipping them into my pocket. "You ready for bed?"

She shakes her head. "No," she pouts, sitting on the edge of her bed. "Stay up and talk to me. I don't want to go to sleep."

I know she is only willing to talk to me because she's too drunk to be mad, but still, I sit, keeping a distance between us that she quickly closes, scooting closer. "I stayed for dinner and drinks with the Valkyries," she admits. "I think I might've drank a little too much."

I chuckle quietly. "I couldn't tell."

"Good," she nods seriously. "I wouldn't want you to think I'm irresponsible."

"Anytime you want to let go," I tell her, even though she won't remember it. "Know that I've got you."

She smiles, laying her head dramatically in my lap, startling me with the contact. With the seconds, I melt into her as she looks up at me. "You have really pretty hair," she smiles, playing with a strand that has fallen over my brow. "Have I ever told you that?"

"No," I chuckle. "And I doubt you'll remember telling me come morning."

"You'll remember," she points out, playing with the rings on my fingers, draping my hand over her waist.

"I will," I reply distantly.

"I'm going to be mortified," she whines. "At least I won't wake up butt naked and covered in glitter though."

"What?"

"Long story," she chuckles shutting her eyes as she smiles, still playing with my fingers. "Can I ask you something?"