57. Between the Three of Us

Eris

"I hate to watch you cover it up," I mutter, watching her coat her purpled mark on her neck. Some of my best work, might I add. I played with her for hours, explored what made her arch and whimper and sigh, and frankly, I enjoyed every second of it. How long had I been terrified of hurting her with my own lust? But it was her desire that matched mine, and at times, she seemed to be into things that even I had never tried.

She rolls her eyes. "I'd prefer if our friends didn't know what we get up to when we're alone," she glared at me affectionately over her shoulder. "Don't you?"

I shrug. "Not really," I reply. "I like letting people know what's mine, maybe I'm a show off."

She snorts, but I can see her hand fidgeting a bit as she finishes applying the powder, her desire perfuming the air. "Good thing this party isn't about you showing off, you narcissist," she teases me. "It's about your brother."

Yes, Lucien was turning a century and a half today. Normally, Fae don't really celebrate birthdays, but centuries and half centuries are pretty big. Not that Lucien had insisted on the party. No, despite his lineage, Lucien couldn't care less about a huge host of people dancing and chatting, but Helion insisted. And then Neph egged Helion on... and then I rallied with them just to piss Lucien off.

"I suppose you'd be saving me a lecture from my mother if she saw such a mark on your neck," I concede. I could just hear her now, nagging about safe sex methods, as if she hadn't burned every sub law of consent in my brain when I turned fourteen. "She taught us a lot about how to be a true gentleman with a woman, and lets just say biting was not on the list."

Neph snorts. "If I wanted a gentleman, I would've married Lucien," she teases though Lucien certainly deviated from mother's lessons in his own ways. "But I married you."

I smile, wrapping my arms around her waist, her silvery gown, sparsely there in preparation for that desert weather. "Here I thought you liked me for my manners," I tease, kissing her on the cheek.

"Oh, I love you for your manners," she smiles up at me, something devious in her eyes. "Particularly at night-"

"Alright," I roll my eyes, interrupting her. "Keep talking like that, and we won't make it to the party..."

"Fine," she surrenders. "Let's go."

...
The problem with throwing a party for Lucien is... most of his friends hate each other. Of course Tamlin and Tarquin were indifferent to Rhysand and Feyre. Of course, I wasn't there biggest fan either.

Helion had simply instructed the musicians to play louder and asked the servers to circulate more drinks- which seemed to help things. Lucien- despite being as indifferent to the idea of a birthday party as maybe even I might've been- seemed to be enjoying himself.

At first, I had caught him bouncing around between guests like Prynthian's greatest ambassador before Mom insisted he dance with her. Then, a line had promptly formed for dances with my brother. Neph had started it, the two of them sharing possibly the most graceless dance I had ever witnessed, laughing drunkenly over themselves.

Then Feyre had danced with her good friend as Tamlin stepped up to the stage to play the fiddle. It felt like there was a lot of meaning in the way the trio glanced at eachother, probably as close as they'd ever get to the way things were.

Then Nesta had honored Lucien with a dance. I was surprised by the slight of friendship between them if I'm being honest, but it quite suited them, that brutal honesty they can have at times. I imagine if Lucien and Elain had worked out, perhaps they'd make great friends.