3. In a Heartbeat

Nephele
Sitting in Eris' lap was a mistake. The feeling of him beneath me... the feeling of all of him beneath me... it was immeasurably distracting. And it was dangerously familiar. Dangerously tempting. If I'm not careful, I'll let myself be poisoned again.

Which is precisely why the festivities Feyre suggested we all have tonight in light of my attendance were such a bad idea. Normally, Eris arrives for a meeting over dinner with the inner circle, leaning shortly after, but now, we'd be staying later, dancing the night away in the court of nightmares.

I have no business dancing with Eris, but I absolutely must if I'm to look in anyway like I like him the way I've pretended. Even when it runs so much deeper than that. Already, I was addicted to him like a drug, and history would suggest that dancing with him seldom helped the problem. It had been when we danced at our wedding that I had kissed him for the first and last time of my own accord, not because I felt compelled to in order to save face, not because I begged him to make my first kiss magical, not because the priestess said he could kiss the bride. It was purely because I couldn't resist the impulse. I'm not sure if the kiss meant the same thing to him, but either way, it doesn't matter now. It only means that dancing with him is going to be a bad idea.

I take a confidence shot from a tray some terrifying man is carrying around for all the guests, letting my body relax and melt, trying not to cough at the burn in my throat. "Thirsty?" A voice teases from beside me. Cassian.

I roll my eyes, gesturing to the fully stocked bar. "Such divine refreshments demand to be reveled in, don't you think?"

"I knew I liked you," he grins crookedly. "Which why I wanted to apologize for lashing out at you for how you spoke to Rhys. I must admit, sometimes, I have this insufferable older brother instinct over him and Feyre- which is only magnified by my position as general."

I chuckle quietly. "I get it. I always wanted siblings growing up. Closest I'll get is Lucien- which I suppose is a good deal," I consider.

"Lucien is a good male," Cassian agrees. "It's a shame we don't see him more often- with his mate's indifference and all."

Yes, I had heard only briefly about Lucien's mate, but I could tell enough that things didn't exactly work out for him. It could break my heart. "Who is she?" I ask Cassian. "I don't mean to pry- I only ask because he doesn't talk about her much."

"I understand," Cassian says, leaning against the bar, sipping his ale. "I can't imagine what it must be like for him," he shivers. "Lucien's mate is the sister of my mate, the sister of the high lady."

I gasp softly. "Really?"

Cassian nods solemnly. "I'm surprised Eris hadn't told you."

I shrug casually. "It felt rude to pry him for information about his brother. He never mentioned that she was a woman so powerful as to be related to the High Lady."

Cassian snorts. "No, it isn't that she's powerful or high in status," he explains. "She's just uninterested, hung up on her human ex. She's awfully quiet and reserved as is, hard to grab the interest of- I suppose."

"Still," I swallow. "Lucien is a great guy. I imagine any woman would be lucky to have him as her mate."

Cassian shrugs again. "I don't believe he's the problem," he replies. "But I shouldn't speak ill of my sister in law."

I frown. "You don't get along?"

"It's not that," Cassian clarifies. "She's alright- boring if I'm being honest. My mate, Nesta... she was going through things after the war how we all were. Initially, I had seen Lucien's mate, Elain, as kind if quiet. But I think- with her- people tend to mistake her silence for poise."