21. A Fighting Chance

Nephele

I had marched in solidarity beside Eris the rest of the afternoon, but I knew better than to say anything. I couldn't bare the cold look in his eye as he stared straight ahead, our army marching closely behind us. Gone was their merry banter- the brother of the High Lord was dead, a son of autumn. Even if Lev wasn't good, the land would mourn him.

I know why Eris hadn't lingered with his brother. It was a public execution in all respects. Regret and remorse were weak, useless feelings to a man like Eris Vansera. He would never let his men see him shake.

The best I could do was follow his lead, not forcing my hand into his as we walk, deflecting attention when we finally did arrive at camp. "He's just off on a walk," I had told Hopkins, Nesta, and Cassian. Not a lie, though the words to follow were. "It's my fault, really. I had trouble sleeping last night, and he told me he knew of an herb that grew close by that cured sleeplessness, offered to fetch it for me while I ate dinner."

"Awfully kind of him," Cassian says, definitely suspicious.

I shrug casually in response. "I think he just grew sick of me tossing and turning," I chuckle, rolling my eyes. "If you think he's a grouch normally, you should see him without his precious eight hours." Lie. Eris hardly ever sleeps it would seem, but from what I've found, he maintains the same level of grouchiness regardless of rest. Still, the three of them laugh as I excuse myself back to my tent before sneaking out of the backside to find my husband.

I'm not sure if it's whatever mating bond lies between us or divine instinct, but I find him with relative ease, laying across a tree that seems to have fallen over in the clearing, tossing an apple up to himself as he gazes skywards. "You shouldn't be out here all alone," I call out to him, only half joking.

He doesn't bother even looking in my direction, like he had known I was there the whole time. "I'm not alone," he points out bitterly as I walk towards the tree. "I'm with you."

"Do you want me leave?" I ask, biting my lip. I can't tell what he needs. I can't tell if he needs me.

"Don't," his voice cracks as he finally looks at me, sliding my hand in his. I nod hesitantly, hopping onto the trunk, scooting to lay his head in my lap.

"Do you think he really was alone?" I ask cautious to bring up such a subject. "Where was Darian?"

"He was alone," he answers hoarsely, near certain. "Darian never would've advised this plan, and even if he did, he never would've let Lev have the crown over him." He had told me once that Darian was the one of his two full brothers to watch for, the smarter, more cunning of the pair. It wouldn't have made sense for him to be there- I just can't understand why they ever split up. Where is Darian now?

I nod, stroking his hair soothingly. "I'm sorry," I whisper.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," he replies hollowly.

I shrug. "True enough." I'd strike down anyone and anything that ever threatened him, and I wouldn't for a second regret it- I know I don't regret what I did today, even if I regret his pain. "But I'm still sorry."

He shuts his eyes, letting my words settle in the sweet autumn air. "Poor kid," he mutters, almost to himself. "He never had a chance."

"He had as much of a chance as you, Eris," I run my fingers gently over his closed eyelids, hoping he can find peace in my touch. "You gave him a fighting chance. You did everything you could and more."

He ignores me, stuck in his own head. "We're all too much like him," he says with disdain, hating his father with every inch of his being.

I shake my head in disagreement. "Not you."