55. Lawless Island

Eris

"He truly didn't have to come, you know?" Jurian says to Neph as if I'm not even there on this godforsaken island that somehow birthed the most beautiful thing in the world. Said beautiful thing was here to introduce herself to the island that indeed knows so much about her already.

She was something of myth and legend here, revered for the storm she had erupted when she was freed of captivity. Not nearly as fierce as the word her haggish grandmother- Cathilda- spread across the isle of her Oracle, that a Speirling would rise to power, that her vision seems to favor Neph.

I'm glad to hear at least one of Neph's family members isn't completely demonic... though the woman does eat rats alive.

"Yes he did," Neph snorts. "He would've sulked something fierce if we made him stay behind."

"I'm just saying," Jurian shrugs at my irritated glare. "The people here won't give a rat's ass about the High Lord of Autumn."

I shrug. "I'm to be the consort of Creagach," I remind him. "I can smile and wave just fine."

Jurian snorts. "I'd like to see that."

The other truth of it is that being here makes me feel better. I'm not sure I could bare to be across oceans when Neph's boots are on the same soil that he father has the power to turn against her. I'm fully aware she has saved my ass more times than I have saved her, that she's a far cry from a damsel in distress....

But I need to be around her. It's a protectiveness I can't put into words. It's a sad and pathetic thing, but it is what it is. And I think some part of Neph knows that.

"Perhaps if they crown me queen, I'll let you throw my coronation, Dear," Neph snorts to reduce me to such idle and remedial work. "I know nothing prods your mind quite like floral arrangements and table cloths."

"Cute," I say dryly before turning to Jurian. "You said this village wasn't far?"

Jurian nods. "It's somewhat of a hidden thing," he explains. "A precaution for when Hybern was recruiting lesser fae to fight his wars. There was a long gone witch that gifted a Haven to the people."

"Does my father know it exists?" Neph asks.

"If he does, he wouldn't bother try to seize control," Jurian says. "These fae could make pebbles of his soldiers if they intended to. And they would never willingly follow him. His best strategy would be to leave them in isolation."

My brow furrows. "And how did you come to know of this place?"

Jurian laughs. "I may be the mortal among us, but I'm older than the both of you," he points out. "I know secrets of the land that you might not even begin to guess, Fireling."

"Why should these people want to hear me?" Neph asks. "It would seem they have something pretty good going for them in their isolation."

"Their population grows," Jurian answers. "They might like to have a place beyond the borders of their wards. And despite what people think of lesser fae, they aren't beneath morals- morals that your father blatantly abandons, might I add."

"And what of the wealthy land gluttons on the isle?" I ask. "Even if we were to sway the lesser fae, the wealthy still hold a good chunk of the land. I don't imagine they'd align with us."

"They don't have to," Jurian replies. "When Fergus is defeated, they will fall with him, and Nephele may return the land back to the lesser fae and the mortals. People who would respect the covenant of the isle."

Neph tilts her head. "You've given this a lot of thought."

Jurian shrugs. "I've been fighting this war for centuries," he explains. "I'd like to see it finished."