10. You're the Sun

Eris
After the miraculous coronation we had, even the most skeptical of nobles were having trouble questioning her right to rule Autumn. Not to mention the glares I gave them all didn't encourage anything outside of grumbled adoration and praise, however temporary their approval might be.

She took it all with a smile, though. It was important for me to invite townsfolk to our coronation in equal measure to the nobles. I invited men and women who were cornerstones of their communities, bakers, merchants, artisans, farmers. Nobody would be too small to be recognized by their government.

The townsfolk- unlike the begrudging nobles- loved her. Loved me too- surprising as it is. We were indeed kissing babies and accepting gifts from the merchants. By the time we had finished making our rounds, Nephele had acquired a full stack of necklaces about an inch thick around her throat, a ring for each finger. I- while gifted less necklaces- was wearing several watches on my wrists, rings smattered across my fingers, earrings glinting across my ears like constellations, pierced with the heat of my flame. It was Neph who insisted that we wear every gift, to show our gratitude, even if it looked a bit tacky.

It did not go unnoticed. The townsfolk looked at us like we hung the stars themselves, gathering around us in a circle, clapping in insistence that we at last dance. Most of the High Lords and foreign diplomats had left. Now what remained was purely Autumn, a celebration of town and country.

The dance wasn't slow, the fiddle producing an uptempo dance of galloping and twirling, townsfolk and even a few nobles joining in on the merriment, though many turned their noses up to the sloppiness of the movement. Nephele smiles widely, her skin glistening in sweat, her heart beating fast from the tempo. I could feel sweat very thinly beading on my brow too, but I also felt my returning smile, broad and idiotic.

Her face was close, only pulled away by the nature of the group dance as we were both swung to different partners, spinning around the dance floor. Her eyes are still on mine as we exchange and dance around, her smile fallen a bit, her lips parted until she's dancing right beside me. I steal her back smoothly as the song comes to a close, her laughing into my chest at the maneuver.

The song changes from fiddle to violin, a surprising contrast between two instruments despite being so similar. It takes on a slower rhythm as she takes my hand, her head still rested on my shoulder. I lean my head against hers, rubbing her back soothingly. I could tell the night was drawing to an end. It must be well past midnight and the crowd has dwindled down even further. All that remains are couples, young and old, swaying in the copper moonlight.

Neph's breathing turns peaceful, too steady. "Hey," I murmur, shrugging my shoulder, her head rolling a bit. "You can't fall asleep while standing up."

"I'm High Lady," she whines groggily. "I can do as I please."

I snort, pulling away so that I can take her waist, her head rolling onto my shoulder. "Come on," I smile over at her. "Let's get you to bed."

"Mm," she murmurs against my neck, her arms still around me, her feet clumsy beneath her with grogginess. Once we get inside, I sigh outwardly, deciding just to hoist her into my arms instead. She doesn't complain, burrowing into my chest. "I didn't sleep last night," she admits, yawning like a puppy curling up before a nap.

I chuckle fondly. "Me neither," I reply as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"Can we sleep all day tomorrow?" She asks, eyes fluttering shut.

I laugh quietly. "In your words: you're High Lady. You can do as you please." She giggles sleepily as I climb the stairs towards our room. I'm a bit too drunk and exhausted to winnow home. I'd say she's feeling about the same.