26. Payment Enough

Eris

I'm not sure how I am meant to take my mouth off her, especially when she lays before me, her panties rumpled from our ride, not quite covering her glistening, sensitive skin. I had made her come twice more that night, once from my tongue, once from my fingers.

I would've been content to bring her pleasure until the world turned to dust, but she looked absolutely spent by then, curling into my body as the night faded to black around us. As she fell asleep in my arms, a content smile on her lips.

I slept like a fucking baby, my mate, naked and happy, lying in my bed, curling into my body for warmth that she only seems to want from me. Despite how well I sleep, I'm the first to wake between us, her dozing peacefully beside me like she hadn't so much as moved.

I could get up. I could go prepare for the feast this afternoon or do a million other things, but I'm as good as paralyzed, my body refusing to move from hers. She has no right being that beautiful, her lashes fanned across her cheeks, flushed with sleep. Her skin presses snug to mine, as if we could fuse together and never be apart, her hand settled sweetly on the side of my neck.

"Stop watching me sleep, freak," she murmurs, eyes still shut, even as a smile spreads across her face.

I blink in momentary surprise before recovering. "Stop being beautiful then," I retort.

She chuckles, stretching her legs and back beneath the covers, craning her neck up to kiss my cheek as her eyes flutter open. "I'm certain there's a feast we're meant to be attending at six," she raises a brow up at me as my hands begin to slide up the curve and sway of her body.

"Mmm," I murmur, stretching down to kiss her slowly, patient as the morning. "And I'm certain there are things I might rather feast on in this bed with me."

She rolls her eyes. "You are deeply corny, you know that, Baby?" She squeezes my face affectionately, keeping my lips from hers. "Need I remind you that your mother and brother will be attending the feast? The least you could do is go say hello to them."

And just like that, a cold bucket of water has been dumped all over me. "What is it?" She asks, her brows drawn together. I hesitate, nothing in my nature compelling me to be honest and open, certainly not with what I feel.

"Eris," she says my name gently, laying her hand on my cheek, all my walls crumbling just by her touch alone. "What's wrong?"

"I have to tell my mom," I swallow, glancing into her soft eyes. "About Lev. She doesn't know yet."

She runs her thumb soothingly across my cheek. "I'm sorry, Eris," she murmurs. "What can I do?"

"Stay by me?"

"Of course," she kisses my cheek. "Always."

...

"There you two are," Lucien greets us merrily as we enter the Throne room, an excess of tables attended to by servants as they make their final preparations for our guests. "To think- I winnowed in early just to extend my Happy Harvest wishes to the pair of you!"

"No, you didn't," Nephele grins, knowing better. "You wanted to talk to us about something."

"We slept in," I offer him, wrapping my arm around Nephele's waist, my fingers splaying over her abdomen. Her dress is lovely, full and maroon, a complimenting shade to my plum colored dress shirt, golds and silvers intertwined on both our garments in equal measure. "What is it Lucien?"

"Tamlin wants to meet with you both soon," he replies simply, his metal eye glancing at Neph. I roll my eyes.

"You bare the messages of so many courts, Brother," I muse. "I wonder how they repay you for your kindness."

He shrugs, a smirk crossing his lips. "The knowledge I gain from such responsibility is payment enough," he replies. "The ultimate currency is secrets."

It's hard to forget Lucien and I are related in moments like this. "What does Tamlin want with us?" Nephele asks, interrupting my proud reflection on my little brother.

"It's rather a question of what does he want with you, Nephele," Lucien replies, a slick grin. "He only invited Eris as a professional curtesy."

Nephele rolls her eyes again. "If he means to pitch Creagach again," she begins, crossing her arms over her chest. "Tell him I have my hands full enough as high lady without introducing another hunk of land across the sea that I'm meant to rule."

"I don't see why he cares so deeply," I put in, brow furrowed. "What does Tamlin gain by putting Neph on the throne?"

"I'm under the impression that double crossing Hybern was only half his mission when he gained the king's favor during the war," Lucien replies. "I think he intended to liberate its people from the social stratus that binds them across the ocean."

Nephele blinks, her hands growing restless at her side as if she too felt the call to help those people. "Not that he ever told me that," Lucien puts in sourly. "He says I have a big mouth, as of late."

I chuckle under my breath. "I can't imagine why."

Lucien rolls his eyes. "Just trust me," Lucien says, glancing at Nephele. "You're gonna wanna go."

"Why's that?" Nephele challenges, not appreciating the way Lucien skates around the details. I'd be quite the hypocrite if I called him on it though.

"There's someone there," Lucien shrugs. "Someone I think you might be interested in hearing out."

"Why be cryptic, Lucien?" Nephele groans impatiently. "I thought we were friends."

"We are friends, my dearest sister-in-law," Lucien takes her knuckles to his lips, pressing a sarcastic kiss against the skin, smirking as a muscle in my jaw ticks. "Which is why I warn you before Tamlin sends a formal invitation in writing tonight."

He bows, scampering off to do whatever it is he does in his guest chambers when we invite him over, Nephele scowling after him. "He's worse than you," she glares as my brother turns the corner.

"Hey," I whine, affronted as I pull her chin to look up at me. "Nobody is worse than me." And she better never forget it.

She smiles deviously, meeting my lips in an agreeing kiss.

...

"Lev is..." my mother trails off, seeming to process the words as they leave her lips. "Gone?"

Nephele nods when I can't, reaching to squeeze my mother's fingers. "I'm so sorry, Delia."

Mother's gaze raises to Neph's, then to me, Helion standing only a pace behind her, his brows knit together in worry, Lucien a pace to his left, shifting on his feet. Mother doesn't shatter, she swings her arms around Neph and I, crushing us in a hug. Nephele's eyes catch mine in shock, her arm curling around Mom, raking soothing fingers through her auburn hair. "I'm sorry," Mom hesitates, starting to pull back, rethinking and squeezing us tighter. "It's just... I'm glad you're both safe."

I hug her back, the little boy in me still wanting to make sure his mother is okay. The little boy in me still needing his mother every now and then. "Are you alright, Mom?" I ask softly, feeling the tear slide down her face, onto my chest.

She pulls back, a delicate tear streaked down her cheek. "I'm okay," she smiles bitterly, a glance back at Helion.

"Say the word, Delia," he offers, brushing her hair off her neck. "Say the word, and we can go."

I wait for her to, but she only rolls her shoulders back, raising her chin. "I want to stay," she says to Helion. "I want to enjoy Harvest with my sons," she smiles at Lucien and I, my gut twisting as her attention slides to Nephele. "My daughter."

Neph's lip wobbles as she smiles, dwarfing my mother as she hugs her again to her chest. Lucien and Helion catch my gaze, and I nod out of the corridor, them following to give Neph and Mother some space.

Helion pours both Lucien and I a shot before we all pour it right out the window, for the son lost in the autumn breeze.