5. Separation Anxiety

Nephele

"You're going to see me tomorrow," Cressida complains sarcastically, embracing me when I step off of the winnowing point into her arms. "What's with this sudden urgency to come over tonight?" She chuckles fondly.

"Separation anxiety?" I smile wryly.

"Nice try," she shoves me as we walk towards the palace. "You're avoiding him again."

I groan, burying my head in my hands. "Is it really that obvious?" I whine.

She chuckles. "Maybe to me it is," she smiles, wrapping her arm around me. "You don't want to forgive him."

"Why should I?" I ask half heartedly. "He betrayed my trust."

"To protect you," Cress points out.

I groan again. "I know," I pout. "It's like that fucker knew that no one has ever protected me in my life. I'm supposed to be mad at him- which I am, don't get me wrong, but he made me even more in love with him."

Cressida grins. "That's why you refuse to forgive him," she taunts. "Because you're scared to let yourself love him. Scared he won't feel the same."

"Pfft. Come on, Cress! Do I look like a woman who is afraid?" I muse sarcastically. "Here I thought I closer resembled terrified."

"See! You're so honest with me!" She says as we stride into the palace. "Why can't you be this honest with him?"

"It's not like I lie to him about my feelings," I retort defensively. "I just don't... tell him everything."

She stares at me for a second, blinking. "Yeah, I know. I hear the hypocrisy too," I grumble unhappily.

"Still," she powers on deviously. "It is almost romantic to have him vying for your affection back."

I roll my eyes. "You're evil," I shove her. "Though I must admit, some groveling might do him a world of wonder. Maybe on his knees."

She chuckles. "You could put in a request."

I shake my head, grinning. "We're awful."

"I wonder if the Valkyrie will hate us for it," Cressida shudders. She has a socially anxious streak which is why I'm surprised she agreed to go with me tomorrow.

"I thought Nesta might dislike me for my association with Eris," I admit. "But when I expressed that to Cassian, he told me that she would like me the second she heard I yelled at Rhysand."

Cressida laughs behind her hand. "I gotta say, I'm not Rhys' biggest fan either," she admits. Yes, she had told me about Night's escapade in Summer in Summer before the war. How they played their hospitality and stole for what her cousin might've given had they asked. How the High Lord and High Lady flirted for answers, humiliating Cress and Tarquin. "My cousin has only just begun to forgive Night if only for their help in the war on the attack of Adriata... and possibly for Varian's romantic pursuits."

I chuckle. Cressida had also told me many hilarious stories regarding Prince Varian and his love of the most terrifying woman in Prynthian. I think it's funny to imagine kin of Cressida- who can be so skittish and quiet at times- with someone like Amren who has absolutely no filter.

"We're going," I tell her. "We need more friends."

Tarquin turns the corner, leaning against the wall, crossing his arms. "She's right," he teases Cressida, her annoying baby cousin. "Before Neph, I was your only friend."

Cressida scoffs, swatting at Tarquin. "That's not true!"

The High Lord rolls his eyes. "Varian doesn't count either."