19. Albeit Passionate

Nephele

Half of the Illyrians had taken to the sky, flying over head, led by Cassian himself at the head of the flock. Nesta had marched below, instructing the Illyrians on the ground proudly with what status she won at the blood rite. From what I've gathered, Illyrians aren't all too respectful to women, but they respect the rite. It's their religion.

And watching Nesta bark orders at grown men is my religion. She gives me a covert smile before she falls back into the march, berating an Illyrian for grumpily dragging his wings.

Eris and I had made our rounds, never parting with eachother. We were a team, that much was obvious by our matching crowns of metallic leaves, mine silver, his gold. He kept me on his arm, introducing me to his soldiers that I'm shocked to find he remembers by name. Then again, is it really that shocking? Eris is so naturally thorough, detail oriented. And despite what some may think, his people matter to him. They matter more than anything.

At first, the soldiers regard me warily, unsure what to make of my title, but they quickly relax as I ask them about their families, their hopes once they finally return to the capitol after all these years. I must admit: hearing these men speak of their families, how much fathers miss their daughters... it gets a bit taxing. If not for Eris' hand holding mine through it, I'm not sure what I'd do. The best I can do is remind myself that we're doing a good thing. We're taking them all back home.

"They all love you," Eris tells me proudly, returning to our tent with the stew he went to fetch, slidding the thermos into my cold fingers. He had deposited me here earlier when I could barely conceal my hobble, shedding my boots and thick wool socks. "Just on the walk to the dining tent, I had six soldiers stop me just to ask if you were feeling well."

I laugh, rolling out my ankles. "I hope you lied," I tell him, laying my head on his shoulder as he sits beside me. "I've never walked this much in my life. I fear my toes might fall off."

Eris frowns. "I can have a horse saddled for you instead. It-"

"It's fine," I interrupt him, patting the inside of his thigh. "I should walk among our men. A ruler who puts themselves on a pedestal risks falling into the mindset they're better than those whom they govern."

"I can carry you," he offers. I can't quite tell if he's being sincere, but I roll my eyes all the same.  He's always taking care of me, and while sweet, I can't let him baby me because I know he absolutely will.

"Cute," I bump him in the rib, blowing on the stew. "I'll be okay- just promise you'll still love me when my feet are hideous."

"I'll add that to our vows," he promises, shrugging out of his jacket, sliding it around my shoulders. I smile gratefully, taking a spoonful of stew to my lips. I nearly moan at the taste, my eyes fluttering shut.

"Good?" Eris taunts from beside me.

"Doesn't have to be," I respond. "It's warm."

"I'm warm," he points out, affronted that I dare take comfort in the warmth of anything other than him as he wraps his arm around me.

"Yes, but you won't let me taste you," I scrunch my nose up at him, delighting in his scowl.

"If it makes you feel better, I've decided that I never should've tasted you," he replies astutely, and I nearly choke on my stew.

"I'm sorry?" I stammer, confused. I thought he had enjoyed it as much as he allowed himself to. Of course, how much could he really have enjoyed it without finding his own pleasure?

"I mean," he says emphatically, pushing a curl out of my face. "I never should've touched you because how am I meant to think of anything else? Seriously Neph, I've never been this distracted in my life."

I giggle then, relief flooding my belly as I set the stew down. "I'm sure I could help with that," I smile, sliding myself into his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Not yet," he replies, sliding his hands up my waist, looking around. "And certainly not here."

I shrug. "We could stay quiet," I murmur, my mouth so close to his.

"I'm sure you could," he rolls his eyes. "I swear, the only time I can get you to be quiet is when I'm making you come."

I gasp, hitting his arm, fully offended as he chuckles. "You're a prick."

"I'm your prick," he kisses my cheek gently, making it very hard to be mad at him. "We have a big day tomorrow. I shouldn't keep you up."

I nod, glancing back at the cot we were meant to share. "It's been awhile since I've slept on one of these," I laugh, though it comes out more hollow than I intend.

Eris frowns, remembering what I told him of the cellar, how I spent two centuries to weak to move from the small Nylon cot my father allowed me, not dissimilar to the one before us, though this one is certainly in better shape. "I can't believe I forgot," he curses himself under his breath before look back up at me, grazing his knuckles over my cheek. "We can bring in something different, or we can winnow back home for the night. Nobody would have to know-"

"I'll be okay," I interrupt. "I want to sleep here."

His eyes soften. "Are you sure?"

I nod. "I want to prove to myself that I can do it," I whisper, the truth too real to speak at full volume. "Just..." I hesitate, biting my lip. "Stay with me? I'm not sure if I can face the night alone. Not tonight."

"You'll never have to face it alone," he whispers. "I'm sorry you ever had to. I'll be here for it now." I nod, smiling as I cross the room to prepare for bed, making slow work of my silver corset, my fingers still a bit frosty from the breezing autumn I endured today. Eris walks up behind me, wordlessly taking the laces of my corset in his fingers, gently pulling it loose until the pressure falls from my body.

He doesn't stop, kissing my collarbone as he unzips my loose gown, my head falling back as the gown falls to my ankles and I step out of it. He doesn't turn me around, instead shedding his shirt as he kisses my throat lovingly, buttoning me into the sweetly scented fabric.

My heart beats a little faster when he spins me back around, meeting my lips for a soft- albeit passionate- kiss, my mouth falling open for the gentle sweep of his tongue. He parts from me briefly after, still holding me by the waist against his firm erection. "Warm enough?" He jokes, tilting his head cutely. I roll my eyes.

"A little good measure never hurt anyone," I taunt, pulling his hips even closer. He grunts.

"I'd have to disagree with that statement," he groans, a muscle ticking in his jaw. I chuckle, dragging him to our admittedly small cot. It is of no concern. Whenever we share a bed, I always end up on top of him anyway.

Blowing out the candle, he pulls me into his chest, which is bare and warm as he slips the blankets over us. I hum happily, hiking my leg over his waist, pressing a soft kiss to his chest. "Goodnight, Eris," I murmur.

His arms tighten around me, a gentle and content exhale. "Goodnight, Nephele."