49. Heart of Diamond

Eris

"You knew?" Her voice is soft, broken.

"I suspected," I correct, regretful. "I had read journals about such a condition in malnourished women, but I didn't want to worry you without a second opinion, especially since it isn't of any consequence yet."

She laughs abruptly, tears welling in her eyes. "Isn't of consequence?" She echoes. "Eris, I can't carry children."

I wince. Poor wording on my part. "I meant," I say carefully, taking a step closer. "That I know you aren't ready for children yet, and I wanted to give your body time to heal."

"It's had plenty of time," she counters, raking out her curls. "At this point, will I ever be in full health?"

"Nephele..."

She shuts her eyes, breathing out. "I just feel so..." she slides her hand over the back of her neck anxiously. "Stunted."

My heart contracts.

"You've gotten so much better, Neph," I remind her. "You've come so far from the skin and bones sitting beside me at the dinner table when we first met. You're strong and fed and healthy. You should be proud of where you are."

She sniffles, turning away, too proud to show me her tears. "I am... it's just-" she hesitates, shoulders sagging. "Whenever I start to feel indestructible- hell, even just a little strong- it's like there's always something waiting to knock me down."

Her frustration sings in a broken voice, another sniffle. "The girl I met almost a year ago couldn't make a dent in her dinner," I tell her quietly, moving closer, though her back is turned to me. "She could hardly lift her fork, hardly keep her eyes open half the time. She couldn't control the storm inside of her well enough to make it stop raining."

"Eris..." she mutters as my arms slip around her.

"But her tongue was silver enough to mock me, and her gaze was stone enough not to cower from mine," I remind her. "And her heart... her heart was indestructible, diamond."

Her arms fold around mine as she lets her body relax into my chest.

"And today," I laugh. "She could probably kick my ass with just a sword and a bolt of well-aimed lightning."

She laughs, despite herself.

"And I've made it my life's mission to find new and... diverting ways to tire her out," I whisper in her ear, grunting as she elbows me, but I can tell she's smiling. "And that's not to mention how she's capable of deceiving all of Prynthian into liking me."

She laughs, turning to face me, tears drying on her cheeks. I smile, looking over my beautiful wife, my beautiful mate. "And that same diamond heart... I still hear it beating," I say softly, laying my fingers over her chest, the rise and fall of breath.

She cries a little more, laughing as she does. "You can't do this to me- I'm in a very emotional state right now," she reminds me, scrunching her nose.

"One day it will be your turn to make me cry," I give her.

She grins deviously, wiping her tears. "I might like the sound of that," her smirk fades. "So it truly doesn't bother you that we probably can't have children for awhile?"

I snort. "I get you to myself for longer?" I raise a brow. "I can think of worse outcomes."

She rolls her eyes. "One day, we're going to have children, you know," she reminds me. "And you are going to have to get used to sharing me, as I do you."

My other brow raises. "We're going to have children one day?"

She flushes, backpedaling. "I mean- if that's something you want with me, that is-"