48. Storm Inside

Nephele

For all my talk of not being able to complete the bond so I wouldn't be separated from court, I had to go and get my period.

It would be bearable if my pain tolerance was as high as it normally was in the face of standard wounds and illness, but frankly, I've never felt worse- not that I'd let Eris know. "You need to get back to court," I insist, trying not cry at the rupturing pain inside my gut. "That's why there's two of us. If one of us isn't well, the other can still rule."

"Stop being dramatic," he says blandly, stirring my hot chocolate for me before he sets it in my freezing fingers. "I'm not just going to leave you. I'm going to baby you until the only ache you have is how sick of me you are."

I sip the hot chocolate, wincing at the squeeze in my gut. The warm drinks and chocolate Eris insists on bringing me definitely help. I shouldn't be surprised that he knows how to treat my cramps. Eris hasn't met a problem that he can't solve without a little research and tough love.

Still, I have to set down my mug when I feel a spell of cramps coming on. It's been two days by now, and I'm beginning to remember the fine tunings of my cycle. As it is, I had only had it a few times before I was locked away, but I do remember the claw marks on my insides that each blood left. I guess I just didn't remember it being this bad.

I cry out in pain, curled over Eris. He read somewhere that warm towels and blankets soothe the worst of cramps, so he had taken his shirt off and heated his skin, telling me to cling to him.

He certainly didn't need to tell me twice.

Still, the storm crackles outside from the throb between my thighs as I squeeze my eyes shut. He strokes my hair, whispering about how I'm almost halfway through the week, that I'll be okay. I bite onto his hand to keep from screaming as a particularly bad cramp seizes me.

The world spins, but Eris doesn't complain, even as I taste the sting of blood on my tongue, the salt of my tears. I want to apologize then, but I can't form words. I can't even think beyond the pound of the storm outside.

The storm inside.

The only peace is when I am finally so exhausted with pain that I start to drift off to sleep, the vague recognition that Eris has snapped me into new padding beneath my night gown with his magic, as to not disturb my rest. The vague recognition that he kisses my brow as I drift off, holding me closer.

...

When I wake, it's hard to tell what time it is, the skies still gray. The rain is softer now though, and I can tell that a fair amount of time has passed considering that Eris is asleep.

As much as I whined and cried in my state of emotional pain earlier, I really do like him doting over me. I like him playing caregiver- he's better at it than anyone would ever give him credit for. But it all makes sense. As the oldest, he had taken care of his brothers, his mother, and as High Lord, he has taken care of his court.

I'm glad he's resting though. He does too much for me. For everyone. I want to thank him, but I don't think words could cover it. I would resort to other forms of gratitude if my pelvis didn't already ache so badly.

I love how he looks asleep though. His mouth is always just slightly open, his pink lips soft from sleep. His hair was especially wild this morning too- I like to be the only one to see him so unpolished. His russet lashes were fanned across his freckles cheeks, but most importantly, he was still holding me close. His grip on me had hardly wavered, even in sleep.

I lay my head back onto his chest, pressing a faint kiss to his warm skin. His hold on me tightens as he wakes slowly, sighing contentedly. I smile, his hand scrunching in my curls as I look back up at him, his eyes fluttering open.