41. Skull Crushing

Eris

I wanted to write Lucien, but I couldn't find the will to dip into the ink. These were things better shared in person, and he should be told as soon as possible. Though... I'd be lying if I didn't say that some part of me hoped that he might volunteer to tell Mom the news so that I don't have to.

"It's about time we made a trip out here," Nephele says, looking up at Lucien's house on the continent as we approach the door. "Lucien is always bothering me about meeting this human and this fire bird queen."

"I'm glad at least one of us is excited," I reply dryly, raising my fist to knock on the large oak door. Neph rolls her eyes, nudging my nerves away playfully with the bump of her hip.

"All will settle," Nephele reminds me. "I was under the impression that I married Beron's smartest son. I'm not afraid of Darian."

"Here I thought you married me for my dashing charm and good looks," I tease.

She squints up at me, tilting her head. "Eh.... You're alright."

The door opens to Lucien, making a face like he just ate something sour. He must've heard us then. "By the cauldron, do you two ever stop flirting?" He asks, turning the other way, nodding for us to follow. "I'm serious. I just ate."

"Good to see you too, Lucien," Nephele replies, tugging at his braid, snickering.

"Yeah, yeah," Lucien swats at her. "What brings you two by?"

Nephele frowns. "What's to say we weren't merely visiting you out of recreation and personal enjoyment?"

Lucien levels a look at her as he leads us into his study. "Eris looks ticked off about something," he answers.

"He always does," Neph points out playfully, tugging me to sit beside her on the loveseat while Lucien takes the chair.

"Darian is back," I tell Lucien plainly. "I thought you should know."

Lucien blinks, fumbling for anything to say. "Define back."

"Backed by Lord Burton," Nephele answers. "He's back in Autumn, twisting for refuge within the walls of our own palace."

"We think he means to capitalize on the position his blood grants him," I add. "Until Neph and I have an heir, he's next in line for the throne. He's either planning to kill us..."

"Or trying to scare you until you give him a permanent position at court," Lucien answers, and I nod. He shuts his eyes. "He should be on trial for treason. He conspired against you-"

"At the command of father- who was the High Lord at the time," I remind him. "We can't charge him on that affiliation."

"So you have to catch him in the act of trying to kill the two of you?" Lucien asks.

"Not necessarily," I answer. Neph cuts me a surprised look as I clear my throat. "Lucien, do you remember the night father had you tortured for your defense of-"

"Don't say her name," Lucien cuts in quickly, referring to his first love. The love who died at the hands of our father. The love that nearly killed him. "Of course I remember."

Neph shifts uneasily. "That night, father said we could have whatever fun we wanted hurting you, but that we were not to kill you," I tell him. Truthfully, I couldn't sleep last night, my mind running over every little order my father ever gave me and my brothers, ticking back at my sanity.

Lucien laughs hollowly. "Yeah, I recall you there," he answers, a bit more sour than he means to. "Standing back. Letting me bleed."

I shrug indifferently. "My only goal then was to make sure nobody killed you," I respond. "That and I was waiting for Tamlin to show up."

Lucien laughs again. "Yes, you do so love to send an anonymous tip, don't you?"

"I do what I can."

"What does this have to do with Darian?" Neph asks.

"Yes, I'm also a bit confused as to why we are intentionally bringing up possibly the most painful day of my existence," Lucien's metal eye seems to twitch.

"Lucien, who took your eye?" I ask blandly, leaning back against the loveseat.

"Darian," he answers.

"He would've stabbed you through the brain if Tamlin hadn't have shown up," I tell him casually. "And I wouldn't have been quick enough to stop him."

Lucien blinks slowly. "And you're mentioning this to me because...?"

"Why do you think father wanted you alive, Lucien?"

Lucien shrugs. "How should I know," he answers. "He probably just wanted to kill me himself."

"Wrong," I reply flatly.

"What are you getting at Eris?" Nephele asks, looking uneasy.

"I'm inclined to think that for however stupid father was," I begin. "I think he always understood the rules of power transfer. I think he was careful never to set off the crown from him to me. I think he knew that to kill an heir would be a complete betrayal to the laws that govern the magic of the bloodline."

Lucien frowns. "But I'm not an heir."

"He didn't know that."

"You think he intended to keep me alive then?" Lucien asks, leaning forward a bit. "If only so that my death wouldn't mark his betrayal to autumn?"

I nod. "Father so carelessly flirted with the line between betraying the foundation of Autumn's magic, always striking deals with tyrants, abusing his heirs, terrorizing his people," I remind him. "He must've known exactly where the line was to walk it so tactfully."

If father were to research anything, it would've been how to keep his power. How to ensure he'd never lose the crown. That's all that ever mattered to him. And those laws that govern the pass of magic in autumn... they were full of loopholes. He had to have known. I'm surprised I couldn't place it earlier.

"But the night you seized the power from Beron..." Neph trails off. "You intended to bring him to nearly kill you so that the power would draw to you. He would've done it-"

"He wouldn't have," I say shortly. "Back then, I had thought he intended to kill me in ignorance, but he never had."

Lucien's brow furrows. "Then what brought the power to you if you weren't close to dying?"

I look at Neph. "He attempted to harm my mate," I reply, jaw tensing. "Even though he hadn't known what she was to me at the time, he died for that mistake."

Nephele shivers. "That's one of the sacred principles that governs the magic in autumn?"

I nod. "One of the few I could make out of the ancient text," I reply. "Autumn is the hearth of the blood duel. We may have lost our way under father's tyranny, but Autumn's people are known to value their mate- the love they share- above all. That is one of the most sacred elements of our magic. The flame of passion and adoration."

Nephele blinks, a blush staining her dark skin as she looks away. For a second, I think her eyes glisten with a tear, but she smiles awkwardly. "Excuse me," she mumbles. "I... the restroom," she stammers before slipping away. I frown, almost rising to follow after her before Lucien's voice cuts through the air.

"Can I ask you something?"

Slowly, I lower my focus back on him, nodding. "If Tamlin hadn't come, if you were the only one who could've stopped Darian from driving that blade into my brain," Lucien says. "Would you?"

It takes me a second to realize what he means.

If Beron's orders would've allowed for the death of one of his heirs, the land would've lost its allegiance to father, and the crown would've fallen right to me. That was before I knew Lucien wasn't an heir of Autumn, of course. That day, I had known that if Lucien died, I would ascend the throne by a backwards trick of magic.

And still, when I open my mouth, I say the truth I've known all along. "I would've stopped him," I answer plainly. "I would've stopped him, even if it cost me the crown."

I say nothing further before I stand, rising to find Neph.