THE CRIME SCENE

The next morning brought an outroar to your small town, Ulsan, after a cop on patrol spotted a body in one alley

The crime scene as you came to expect is a wriggling mass of spectators by the time you arrive, even this early in the morning and the school from a few block away haven't even started their flag ceremony.

People of all ages line the small alleyway, packed so tightly you can't believe they're able to breathe, let alone fight for space to see the end of the street.

Revving the engine of your battered, silver hatchback does little to gain anyone's attention, and you realise you can't park unless they move out of the way.

Not wanting to be late to your very first case as Ulsan's newly appointed detective, you slam down the palm of your hand on the horn of your car, the sharp beep echoed from the small car with more force than expected.

The buzzing crowd finally notices your presence, the bulk of them reluctantly parting.

Once you manage to park, you crank on the handbrake, trying to ignore the pained, crunching sound the car makes but what can you do when it seems to be a decades older than your frequently absent mom?

Out of habit, you glance into the rear-view mirror, quickly checking your appearance to make sure you were presentable. You brush a hand over your dyed red hair and only then did you finally force yourself out of the car.

The chill air bites at your skin as soon as you step out of the warm comfort of the car. Because of this, you shove your hands into the pockets of your coat, shivering at the relief it provides from the sharp cold.

It looks as though most of Ulsan citizens has gathered at the scene, which is more likely true than not, considering the whole town consists of less than a thousand people.

As you step up to the black and yellow barrier, you were greeted by Officer Jimin, a part-time volunteer on the rather small police force of Ulsan. You wonder for a moment if like the rumors loved to say, he'll soon transfer to the bigger cities.

He looks up from his pad, and you can almost see some young women perking up at the motion from the crowd. You waited as he speaks to greet me, he is smiling despite of the reason you were all here for a grosteque result.

Finally, he says, "Credentials please, miss?"

You let out a long sigh. "Are we really going to do this, sunbae? You started working before I even graduated"

"Sorry, but it's mayor's orders," he replies.

Of course, you were kind of hesitant to open your coat after just managing to get warm, but you pull one side open to yank out my badge and ID. You hand it over, with Officer Jimin not even glancing at it before handing it back.