THE CLUMSY DOCTOR

It's a little way to the hospital at the edge of town, and you grip the steering wheel to guide you through the tree-lined, open road.

Sun strikes the windscreen and you have to blink past the intensity of it, the brightness cutting through your heavy thoughts of the team and the case.

Finally, the hospital creeps into view, the flat, wide building visible through the wall of stark trees. The hospital is by far the newest building in Ulsan, built on the remnants of the first-ever warehouse constructed in the town.

When Ulsan's committee (made up of the town's richest residents, lead by the illustrious mayor) had taken it upon themselves to renovate it, most of the town had happily agreed. Well, until they realised renovate meant tearing down the old building and constructing the bland, cream-brick building with no character that now stands in its place.

Still, if any building in town has to be rebuilt as new, then a hospital seems the best choice. Being taken in for surgery should be a lot less worrying in a state-of-the-art facility, rather than some old, crumbling wreck that maintains a feel of the past.

You navigate the bend around the building into the car park, pulling into one of the visitors' spaces. It's hard to swallow down the feeling of seeing your little scratched-up vehicle squeezed between two gleaming sports cars.

The automatic doors slide open as you approach, and were greeted with the open space of the reception area. You have to say you're always impressed when you step inside; I never realised there was such an array of pallid greys and beiges to decorate with.

The waiting area lies completely empty, which isn't exactly unusual. Everyone in town goes to see Doctor Song first, and only at his insistence do they reluctantly visit the hospital even in emergencies.

You head to the front desk, where the receptionist slumps in his chair. His gaunt face, drooping eyes, and sour expression are not exactly the most welcoming thing to be greeted with.

"I'm Detective L/N", you swipe your jacket aside, revealing your badge, "I'm here about the blood test results for the station"

The man immediately stiffens, a crinkle on his nose as he eyes the badge. His wan skin reddens, "Our resources are valuable, Detective. The results of the living take priority over the dead"

"And if we don't get the results of the dead soon, you may have a lot fewer living to deal with", you reply in a sharp tone, "People are being murdered, and every second wasted means even more crimes could be committed"

The receptionist jumps a little at this, dropping his gaze and fidgeting. Eventually, he raises his arm and points a bony finger down the hallway to one side, "Take the first right, then the third door on the left. The blood technician's office is there, but I can't guarantee he'll have what you want. He's new and…a bit strange"

"I'll take that into consideration. Thanks," you  say in a sharp tone then head off to follow the directions.

Why should I feel so guilty over the argument? Jay groans at the thought. No, he hadn't meant to take his frustration out on the detective, but she hadn't exactly been apologetic either.