HEATED ARGUMENT

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The alarm shrieks from your clock, the sound echoing like a scream inside your sleep-deprived head. You roll over and slam your hand down on the alarm, hoping your fingers find the correct button.

When the room falls to blissful silence once again, you let out a long breath.

Sleep threatens to take you once again, your eyes sliding closed, so you groan and roll yourself out of bed.

There's also your legs almost refusing to work and you have to force yourself to stand, your vision bleary as you stare about your bedroom in the hopes of finding the right door for the bathroom.

While continuing to try and ready yourself f for the day, tugging on your usual outfit of pencil skirt and pressed shirt, you begin gathering up your things.

The morning sun blazes in through the square windows of your living room, the golden light seeping around the rest of your one-bedroom apartment. The building may be boring, flat, and made of unappealing redbrick, but at least it gets a good amount of light.

You glance about the room. Having lived here for years, you've kind of gotten used to how it looks.

The cream walls that came with the apartment were the first things that had to change. Now replaced by a much darker palette, it's easier on the eye especially when accented by the heavy wood furniture you've placed about, topped with a few metallic decorations to give it some lift.

Shrugging off the thought, you shove your things into your bag, sling it onto your shoulder, and head out of the apartment.

Shuffling into the station, you glance up and almost stumble to a stop to see Seungmin sitting at the front desk, in shock to find him here before you.. It's hard to remember the last time he arrived before ten.

"Actually, the detective has just walked in", he says into the phone, smiling at you, "Did you want to speak to her, Captain?" Suddenly you'ee extremely glad you decided not to lie in, "Oh, okay, I'll let her know"

Seungmin places the phone down, turning to look at you as you wait, "He says the mayor was an idiot to send you out last night, but even though you didn't find anything, it paid off. Apparently people were happy to see you out and about"

"At least it wasn't a total waste then…", you mutter, shrugging off your jacket and heading to your office.

Inside the office, the unit is already at work - something you've grown used to walking in on the past few days. Jake glances up at you, eyes widening. "Wow, did you manage to get any sleep, or is this your usual look?"

It's true; you do look more than a little sleep-deprived. When you'd managed to catch a glimpse of yourself in the car's rear view mirror, you'd baulked at your reflection: shoulders sagged, skin duller than usual.

There's a shadowed circles that had been sitting beneath your dark brown eyes. Not the most motivating image to see in the mirror that morning.

And you're reminded of Jake's jibe as he smiles towards you.

You glared at him, eyes narrowed, "I got three hours sleep last night", you hold up three fingers in emphasis, "Three hours! It would not be a good idea to mess with me today"

He holds up his hands in defeat, though you notice an amused half-smile on his lips.

The fact that they all look bright-eyed and ready to go doesn't help the issue. Surely they only got as much sleep as you did?