WHAT THE AGENTS KNEW

After a little while later, all of you were spread out on the comfier sofa seats of a private booth in the bar - a prime position you acquired when the last group fled as soon as Sunghoon began stalking towards them, beer bottle in hand.

It's a surprise to find the team actually settling into the casual atmosphere. Even Jay has relaxed somewhat now that the rest of the rowdy patrons are nothing more than a whispered buzz behind the cherrywood panel of the booth, though you notice his fingers grasp his wine glass a little harder than necessary.

"Do you guys go out together like this often?", you ask, sitting back further into the crinkled leather armchair.

"There's not exactly much chance for fun like this at the Agency", Jake replies, taking a gulp from his vibrantly-coloured alcopop, "We should get out more though", he says it as a stray thought, but still passes a hopeful gaze about the other team members.

Heeseung raises his glass tumbler, remnants of whisky swirling inside, "Actually, I agree. It's nice just being able to relax"

"I told you we should keep the detective around more often", Jake says, throwing a wink your way, "You wouldn't mind being our chaperone, would you?"

"I think Jay's disapproving glare is chaperone enough!", you reply, noticing the way the team leader is glowering at Jake.

Jake grins in return, "Yeah, you're probably right about that"

Jay doesn't respond, only shakes his head and takes a stiff sip of his deep red wine.

"Come on, Jay", Heeseung mutters, and you try not to make it obvious you're eavesdropping, "Even you have to admit it's nice for us to all be out together like this once in a while"

Jay's lips purse before - you're amazed to see - he actually gives a small nod. A flicker of a half-smile appears on his lips.

You glance about the group again, noticing a few empty glasses starting to appear, "I'll get the next round"

There are a couple of grateful nods, and then they begin chatting more freely amongst themselves.

As you push yourself out of the seat to head towards the bar, you notice one of them following. After putting in the order for drinks, you twist around as Heeseung comes to stand beside you at the bar.

He smiles, leaning on the bar. Even slightly hunched, he stands taller than everyone else about, "Thanks for this tonight, Detective"

You raise a brow in silent question.

"It's been a long time since we've all been out together for something other than work", he explains, "I didn't realise until now how much we needed it"

You give a soft laugh, "I think it's going to take more than a night out to cure your team of their issues."

Heeseung gives a chuckle in reply. "I can't exactly disagree with that. But at least this night is a good start"

"True"

The bartender is still filling the order, so you lean on the bar as Heeseung had done. It's a couple of minutes before you glance down absent-mindedly and realise just how close yoy've gotten to Heeseung.

I didn't even notice I'd moved closer…. the thought forces a blush to form on your cheeks, and you turn away in the hopes he won't notice.