SOMETHING MISSING

Thankful to get away from the heavy thoughts of the scene with Hwayoung, the two of you head back to the station to meet the others. When you arrived, you find Heeseung waiting inside the foyer of the station.

"Did it go okay?", he asks as soon as we push open the glass doors.

Jay shrugs, "As well as something of that nature could have gone."

Heeseung offers a sympathetic frown to us both before we move further into the station and towards the basement lab.

Down in the basement, Kim Bumsoo lays spread on the cold, stark metal table, his already pale skin made white beneath the intense light hanging above. A simple cloth covers him. Only his head and shoulders show, along with the wound savagely torn across his neck.

Now that it's fully exposed, yoh have a hard time not recoiling from the macabre sight, though you manage to steady yourself. Images of the boy's heartbroken mother flash into your mind with the force of a tidal wave.

The memories make you frown and decided then, you have to catch the killer, no matter what it takes.

Soobin swings around on his seat at the other end of the room, standing and coming towards us. He eyes Jay for a moment, his gaze shifting over to you with a brow raised.

"Another agent?", he asks, and you try to ignore the long smile he throws your way.

"Yeah", ypu say, giving a nod, "Another one."

He turns to Jay, offering a bright smile along with his hand, "Well, I enjoyed meeting your colleague" He gestures towards Heeseung, who smiles, "It's a pleasure to meet you too. My name is Soobin"

Jay stiffens a little, as hesitant to shake Soobin's hand as he'd been to take yours, "Agent Park Jay"

You watch as Soobin tried to hide a grin at Jay's stiff formality. The doctor regains his composure.

"Have you found anything yet?", you ask, turning the focus back to the case.

Soonin glances at the boy, his face pinching into sympathy for a moment, then turns to retrieve a test tube. A long cotton swab rests inside, the bottom flecked with red.

"I haven't had time to do an autopsy yet, but I did find blood under his fingernails. Seems he managed to take away a bit of his killer"

Jay frowns, lifting the sheet a little to examine the victim's arms laying limply on the table, "I see no defensive marks"

"Although it's difficult to imagine the boy let the killer rip his throat out, Agent Park is correct. It doesn't look like Bumsoo put up much of a fight"

Soobin gives a solemn nod, continuing, "I don't think the blood beneath his fingernails was defensive, more accidental. His fingertips have bruising on them, as though he grabbed onto something very tightly"

"His killer", you answer, to which Soobin gives a shrug.

"That would be my guess", he swings around, placing down the test tube and picking up some glass slides. A distilled blob of blood stains each surface, "What's even more interesting, though, is that - once again - the blood matches what you found at the warehouse and what was discovered in the first victim"

You sigh, not sure you can handle the amount of weirdness being piled onto this case.

Soobin places the slides down, turning back to face all of you, "If it is the same killer, then this is a much different method. There was no blood transfusion. In fact, there was hardly any blood at all"