STRANGE PICTURES

It'll be a while before Choi Soobin, Ulsan's only pathologist, has anything to report, so you decide to take a quick brunch and drive the car around to the swanky, modern side of town

The redbrick factories that make up every foundation and building in Ulsan have all been given a coat of fresh white or classy grey paint in this area. Tidy shop fronts line the streets, each with a scripted, scrolling shop name running across the top of the door.

The Square is the centre of this modern hub, and you pull up to park beside the bakery. Getting out, you try not to break your ankle on the aesthetically pleasing, but treacherous, cobblestone street.

Thankfully, the wet, slushy blanket of leaves that covers the roads of Ulsan have long ago been cleared away from the Square. You doubt the leaves even had a chance to touch the ground before someone was plucking them up and throwing them out.

The bakery is surprisingly empty. You stumble to a stop inside the doorway as a waft of hot air, lined with the scent of fresh bread, embraces me.

"Good morning, Y/N", Chaeyoung, the bakery owner, greets you with a grin, her cheeks flushed red and a ring of white-blonde hair just visible beneath a red-and-white chequered chef's hat, "What can I get you?"

You stare at the display and the pastry goodies spread behind it, the fresh warmth of them steaming the glass. It was enough to make you starve at the simple sight of it.

"I'll have a dark coffee, please", you said then your gaze flickers to the pastries, their scent enticing you closer before you pointed to the cinnamon buns,"And one of the usual"

She gives you a sweet smile, making her even more beautiful and yes, more cuter. As a regular, you've seen how so many guys her age were stopping and buying breads just to get a glimpse of her face.

She then turns to the counter behind her, the bitter smell of coffee beans mixing with the pastries, making yourstomach rumble. After a moment, she turns back and places down the paper cup and bag on the counter.

"On the house", she smiles sweetly as she said it.

"Are you sure?", you asked, not wanting to owe her.

She nods, "I heard you're gonna need it -what with that murder and all", she grimaces and wipes her hands on her apron, "Because of that, my friend Lisa doesn't want to visit here for the time being"

"Words really get around here quickly", you commented.

"That shouldn't surprise you," she says, chuckling, "It's worse than when we were in school."

You nod in agreement. There's a saying in Ulsan that if you don't know what's going on, you just have to ask the person next to you.