THE SECOND VICTIM

⚠ Warning ⚠:

There's some gore scene here, so you better avoid it if you can't read that kind of theme.

"You weren't a handsome man, were you, Dr

"You weren't a handsome man, were you, Dr. Jung", the new Dr. Jung Hoseok says, glancing down at the photo ID badge now pinned to his jacket. Replacing the photo with his own would have to be done soon, but that could wait until tomorrow.

Feeding had to be his focus now.

Jung darts through the shadowed streets, frowning when the buzz of the lampposts makes his head ache. He does much better in moonlight only, so he heads towards one of the darker areas between the flat, boring buildings.

"There has to be someone around, even in this backwater hole of a town…", he mutters.

He scans the back doors of the apartment buildings; they line the walls like fridge doors down the aisle of a supermarket. The scent of humans inside seeps through the bricks, searing his nose, and he muffles his hungry groans with his hand.

He hasn't fed in weeks, which was a mistake. His last failed experiment had to be due in part to his hunger. Eating straight from the source is not his preferred method of fulfilling his needs, but he has little choice due to being run out of his accommodations by that stupid pack of agents.

Jung's lip curls in disgust; just the thought of them makes his skin itch. The Agency is useless: a bunch of power-hungry humans and their supernatural pets.

He spits onto the street, the thought of them leaving a vile taste in his mouth. Having to live in the shadows, rather than taking their place at the top in this world, and all because of fear of the Agency's wrath - it is beginning to wear thin on many of his kind.

Killing the unit that had resided in Ulsan had helped to dispel some of his pent-up rage. It had also been somewhat of a perk when he'd overheard them speaking about another potential victim in this town.

Of course, they hadn't revealed anything further upon him asking - torture isn't his forte, even if death is.

Still, learning there is another potential vessel out there had given him hope once more, when he had feared his last attempt was the final one.

Ulsan isn't that big. He'll find this new one eventually. And once he has them, oh, crushing the Agency will be like crushing ants beneath his boot.

A smile tugs at his pale lips, his steps speeding with renewed intent.

The time of the Agency and their coddled supernaturals will be at an end soon enough. But for now, feeding has to be his priority. That fact is made obvious by the stinging of his dry throat and the pain which laces throughout his blood. It really has been too long since he's fed.

Yet, even in a careful town like this one, lost lambs continue to stray from their flock.

Jung draws to a stop at the exit of an alleyway. Lamplight pools down onto the pavement below, highlighting a slim figure bundled up and marching so fast through the opposite alleyway they're almost sprinting.

Probably afraid of what lurks in the shadows…. Jung chuckles at the thought. In a flash of movement, he steps out in front of the walker.

The youthful face of the young boy stares back at him, wide-eyed.

"Where…where did you come -", he stammers.

"Shhh…", Jung coos, taking the boy's hand in both of his and staring into his eyes with unwavering intensity, "Why don't you relax?"

For a few seconds, the boy struggles to yank his hand back, but the resistance finally melts. The boy's eyes mist over and an absent-minded smile lands on his lips.

Jung grins wide, one arm seizing the boy's waist and yanking him closer. His free hand tips the youth's head to one side. The boy's bag drops from his shoulder, collapsing onto the ground and spilling out a variety of colourful school textbooks.

He didn't need to make quite that much of a mess of the boy, but then, it's always fun to leave such a discovery for those persistently intrusive agents.