WHO WILL BE HUNTING WHO?

The experience has been interesting, getting to watch Unit Enhypen work properly for the first time. The cohesiveness with which they work together is astounding and you don't think you've ever seen better - not even back at the academy.

At times, you look up and watch as Jay and Heeseung discuss a possible idea around the circular wooden table they just managed to fit into your office to use as a communal work desk. The two barely talk in full sentences, each seeming to know what the other is going to say without actually speaking it.

Jake tends to stick outside of the group, fetching things or suggesting outlandish ideas which, in all fairness, the others do consider before dismissing. Even Sunghoon joins in, clarifying certain things about evidence or checking files for confirmation about ideas.

For a long while, you keep mostly to yourself, unsure of how to integrate into the obviously tight-knit, well-organised team. But today, you find yourself drawn into conversation.

Flashing your gaze over your computer monitor, you let out a heavy sigh to see the email inbox is still.

Heeseung's gaze moves onto yours, apparently hearing your disappointment, "Something wrong, Detective?"

"I was hoping for the blood test results by now", you reply, leaning back and pushing away the file on your desk. You've reread it about fifty times already.

"They're still not here?", Jake asks with a genuine frown of confusion. "We should have gotten the Agency to do it"

"How quickly do you normally get results back?", you ask, pursing your lips.

"Within the hour, for most of them", Jay replies nonchalantly, not looking up from the papers on the desk.

After hearing this, you almost fall out of my chair. An hour! You barely get replies from Onda within an hour, and she's only in the next room.

Your brows don't come down from the shock, and you shake your head in disbelief, "Your bosses must have made a deal with the devil for that fast a process"

"Probably not far from that...", Jake mutters as he stares down at an open file in his lap.

Jay shoots him a glare, one the other agent pointedly ignores - except for the small flicker of an amused smile.

"It is strange adjusting to how small town procedures work. The Agency is focused on what agents need, so it's unusual for us to have to wait for evidence or test results. But I'm sure your hospital is doing the best they can", Heeseung smiles, the encouraging words genuine.

You glance away, wondering if now is the best time to tell them that the hospital is about as hospitable as a stubborn rhino. It was once the mayor's committee renovation project, but it was left behind when his focus switched to the police station after Seungmin joined.

The mayor's attention (and, more importantly, funds) started piling onto the station instead - an insult the hospital never lets you all forget. Small town politics at its finest.

Thankfully, You don't have to decide whether to tell them as Heeseung calls to you, again, "Detective?"

You glance up, a brow arched, "Yeah?"

"Mind if we get your opinion on something?", he asks as Jay shifted uneasily beside him, "It seems we're at an impasse, neither of us agreeing with the other", he gives a light chuckle, the first cheerful sound in the office for the past couple of days.