PREVENTION OF HIS

Jung dashes through the streets like a hound after a fox. He sprints through the alleyways with ease, following the scent. It intensifies as he draws closer to the very centre of town.

There are other scents, supernaturals like him, but they aren't his focus. He cares little except for the vessel.

And it's close.

So close.

His eyes flutter shut as he lets his senses lead him onwards, deftly avoiding the trash cans, parked cars, and other obstacles which block his path.

Close…

Closer…

There's no movement or sound, yet Jay still glares into the night. It's unnerving, to say the least, watching his body tense and his brow furrow deeply.

You flinch as he suddenly whips around, staring at you with the same narrowed glare he'd been using with the darkness. His gaze flashes over you in quick inspection, and you open your mouth to speak when he suddenly gets there first.

"You must be cold", he snaps. And without waiting for a response, he shrugs off his thick coat, swinging it out and then wrapping it around you.

He doesn't let go, instead grasping the lapels of the dark grey woollen coat, your body embraced inside of it. The action is so sudden and strange that it takes a few moments to process.

Jung grinds to a sudden halt, his nose wrinkling. The scent, the sweet scent is gone.

He sniffs at the air, the nectar of the blood smothered by that of a more potent one.

Another vampire.

"Ugh", Jung groans, rolling his lips together. He'll never find the human with that odour masking them. His limbs tense, his eyes wide in worried thought. Has another vampire already found his prey?

No…. He shakes his head at the thought. Whatever vampire it is won't be able to use their pheromones to get even a bite.

Jung could deal with another vampire if he were more prepared, but not now. The most important thing is that he's confirmed there is another vessel in this hole of a town.

He grins into the dark, twisting on his heel and heading back towards the thick of the forest at the town's border. He is content to wait for another night.

The other vampire's scent drifts away steadily, and Jay lets out a small sigh of relief. Using his coat to mask the detective's scent had been a rash move, but thankfully, one that had paid off.

With the threat gone, he turns his focus back to Y/N, Jay's surprised to find the detective's cheeks flushed pink, her lower lip caught between her teeth. What he hadn't realised when he put the coat around Y/N is that he'd yanked her forwards.

The gap between them is now barely a couple of inches.

He can feel the detective's pulse fluttering, the vibrations landing against Jay's overly-sensitive skin. Coupled with the heat crackling in the gap between them, it's enough to make his throat tighten.

It isn't unusual for Jay to see the signs of attraction from others, even when trying his hardest not to notice them. What is unusual is to feel the stirrings of them from himself in return.

His fingers grip tighter to the lapels of his coat, still wrapped around Y/N, and he finds himself a little reluctant to let go.

"There you guys are!", Jake voice cuts through the heated heaviness that had pressed against them, and Jay holds back a snarl at the interruption. The reaction was not one he intended, and he takes a wide step back from the detective to clear his uncertainty of the moment.

Jay grits his teeth as Jake's gaze flickers between the detective, him, and the coat still draped over the detective's shoulders.

"What's going on here then?", Jake asked, a long smile breaks across the his face. "You, uh, just shooting the breeze with the detective, Jay?"

The snarl Jay had been holding back almost escapes. Being reminded of the detective's first meeting with them was not appreciated, especially considering it meant he'd had to throw out his best t-shirt - the bullet hole was unrepairable.

"Did you come across anyone?", Jay asks, trying to distract Jake's attention.

Jake shakes his head, "We thought we might have had someone", he shoots Ja6 a glance. Obviously they'd picked up on the other vampire's presence as well, "But it turned out to be nothing"

You glance between Jake and Jay, letting out a sigh and running a hand over your hair. The leader's coat weighs against your shoulders, and you realise it has started to feel comfortable.

"Let's call it a night", you say to them, "We should try to get a few hours of sleep before starting all over again tomorrow"

"All right", Jake says, though his strange, amused smile remains fixed on Jay, "Looking forward to it, Detective"

You step towards Jay, pulling the garment from around you.

"Well, if I was cold before", you begin, smiling at the team leader, "I'm certainly not any more"

Jay takes it, wrapping it back around himself, "That was the intended purpose", he meets your gaze for only a moment, soon withdrawing it to focus on Jake.

"Well, goodnight", you said you turn slowly, scanning the street and finding your car glinting dully beneath the street lamp where you had parked.

"Guess we should get going too", you heard Jake say.

"Of course", Jay replies.

But when you glance over your shoulder, you find him staring after you for a moment more before disappearing into the night with Jake.

Well, that was something.