Carnival Mysteries Preview

Darkness

Darkness.

It's all that consumes you for a long while.

Until a deep chill creeps through where you lay in the dark.

It tangles in your nerves, paralysing you. It drowns your vision and makes you blind. It strangles your throat and leaves you in an uncertain quiet.

A shrill laughter shatters the silence.

The cold gives way to something warm and sticky, the fluid running down your arm to weave across your palm and cascade from your fingertips. You look down.

It's blood.

Panic rises like bile in your stomach, until you realise…it's not yours.

The blood's not yours, so why is it draining out of your body?

Another stab of laughter shatters the silence, and you flash your gaze up. Your panicked focus can see nothing in the gloom. Soon, the dark shadow begins to creep over you, sinking into your very being.

Eyes leer out of the darkness.

You stare into the inky, shadowed void all around you as you try to press your fingers to the wound. But the blood trickles through like oil.

"Show yourself!", you yell and was only answered by a quiet air.

And then a reply.

"So demanding, Detective," the voice says with a click of the tongue.

You gasp as a thin, pale hand darts towards you. The fingers grip your arm like iron coils, the nails piercing your skin.

When the figure steps into the light, your breath leaves your throat.

He tilts his head to one side, bones cracking with the movement, his eyes drawn down towards the blood.

He smiles, "When all you have to do is ask"

Sharp teeth glint in the pale light.

And then another figure looms from the shadow, the darkness trembling and retreating as they move closer. The light that precedes them is enough to break the man's hold on you, and he dissolves into the brightness with a hiss.

The new stranger stands before you with head bowed. When you inch a step forward, they stare at you warily.

Jay's eyes meet yours, and the foggy shadow is no longer the only thing to consuming you.

[ Coming Soon This Month ]