THE HUNT BEGINS

The hours whittle away slowly. The sun casts its final rays over the rooftops before sinking down over the horizon to be replaced with cold darkness.

When the phone's alarm buzzes at eight, you jolt yourself awake from dozing. Not a great start for the evening ahead.

You let out a breath of relief, at least you don't have to wait any longer. You's spent most of the afternoon reading over things you already knew and writing down clues you've written a hundred times already, just waiting for the evening to arrive.

Standing, you glance about your office, heavily shadowed by the evening's gloom. It's strange for it to be so empty. So quiet.

Guess you've kind of gotten used to having Unit Enhypen around.

Shaking the thought away, you gather up your keys, gun, and badge, then head out of the office.

The shrill ring of your cellphone against the quiet makes you jump. You lift the phone from your pocket, Hansol's name emblazoned on the screen.

The mayor did warn you off dealing with him, but you've never hit the reject button so fast. Not only do you not actually want to speak to Haneo, you can also just imagine the mayor's reaction if he found out you'd talked to him and it certainly wouldn't be pleasant.

Slipping the phone back into your pocket, you zip up the jacket and make for the front of the station.

You wave a goodbye to Onda, shiver as you press a hand to the chill glass of the front doors, then feel your phone vibrate again. The screen flashes with a new voice message.

No guesses as to who that's from….

Against my better judgement, you listen.

"Hello there, Y/N", you tense at the informal way he says your name, memories of hard days at college dredged up from the back of your mind for a moment, "I just had the most interesting conversation with the mayor"

The tense sound of his voice makes you half-smile, wondering just how much interesting translates into threatening.

"Seems he didn't appreciate my story, especially considering the source of the information. Guess it's time to find a new source, one the mayor can't hush up so easily"

He pauses, and you can hear the click of a pen being tapped against paper, "I'll be seeing you around." he purrs the words and you grimace, quickly ending the message.

With Hansol's voice still rattling around your head, you shove the phone back into your pocket, slam open the front doors, and head into the dark of the town.

The journey to the Square is never a long one, but tonight it's exceptionally quick - probably because this time there's no other traffic, or even people. You parked outside Chaeyoung's Bakery and rattle the door handle of your car a little until it finally gives. Then you step out into the relatively well-lit, pretty street.

It smells cold, the chill hitting your nose and coating your throat. It makes you cough as the cold reaches your chest, bundling your coat up a little tighter. You really hope spring arrives soon.