THEIR KINDS REVEALED

Soft voices echo inside your head and you frown against the pounding that's beginning to beat a painful rhythm inside your skull.

Blinking your eyes open, you squint them as you're greeted by the cold, blinding glare of an artificial light, and also by a group of familiar faces. Jay, Heeseung, Sunghoon and Jake with your mom.

"Mom?", you blink a couple of times, as though the image might be a mirage. But she's definitely there.

She gives a bright smile, one that contrasts with the starkness of the room. Bright white walls sting against your blurry vision, and the drone of the fanlight above is interspersed with the occasional beep of medical machines. The machines flank either side of the hospital bed you're on.

And yet, it's definitely not the hospital in Ulsan.

"What…what happened?", your voice comes out hoarse. You wince at the pain which courses through your limbs as you try to sit up further in the surprisingly comfy, if simple, bed.

Heeseung places a gentle but firm hand on your shoulder, "You shouldn't try to move yet"

"She's fine", Sunghoon says from behind the others, with a dismissive shake of his head.

"You're damn lucky she is", your mom growls at him, and your brows arch in surprise to see Sunghoon actually skulk away at her words.

"Do you remember what happened?", Jay asks, stepping forward to join the others standing at the edge of the bed.

You frown, trying to think past the pain radiating out from the top of your head, "There was a fight?", the fuzzy memories begin to clear, "The attackers…they were sick."

Even with the piercing headache, it's hard to forget the assailants' grey skin and milky eyes, you shudder at the remembered thought and then it hits me.

Your eyes widen, and your gaze shoots up to Jay, "You - you healed! I saw you heal!"

"Ah, so you remember that part too", your mom says with a frown, stepping away with a sigh.

The memory plays out like a movie in your head - a very clear, very vivid movie. The gash had been deep, bloodied, maybe not fatal but definitely in need of stitches, and then it had just mended!

You lean forward, your head pounding but your blood pulsing harder with anger, "After all the shit that's just happened, someone better start being honest!", your voice bounces from the clean walls, seeming to hit everyone inside like ricocheting bullets.

"What you saw was real", your mother says after a long, quiet moment.

"Yeah, I guessed that much", you reply, pursing your lips.

"Telling her is a bad idea", Sunghoon snaps. He receives a frown from Jay and turns away, slumping against the wall with a sour expression.

"Y/N's identity is known now. The Agency has given her clearance to a certain level. She needs to be informed", there is a heavy tone of regret to your mom's words.

You arch a brow, "So, is someone finally going to tell me what's really going on?"

Heeseung sighs and gives a nod, "Yes"

"You know I work for the government", Mom begins, seeming almost hesitant to speak and you nod.

"But it's not just our government", she continues, glancing around at the others in the room, "It's for all of them"

"All of them?", you can't help but repeat that statement.

"It's a global organisation", Heeseung explains, "One that the world's governments all contribute to, but all try to pretend doesn't exist"