THE SCARY TRUTH

"Ah!", your yell echoes and pounds inside your head.

Unit Enhypen halt their rush to your side at the sight.

Whatever pain you were in before explodes through you and your lungs tighten, and your breath suffocates in your throat. Deep red blood pools, seeping over your shoulder from the bitten tears in your neck. Dr. Kim laps up every drop.

In a weak, instinctual move, you draw up your arm and snap your elbow back into his stomach. Amazingly, he stumbles away at the blow.

You drop to your knees, clutching a hand to the searing wound on your neck. Blood seeps through your fingers.

Unit Enhypen suddenly close in around you and all of you watch as Dr. Kim gives a loud retch…and then begins to laugh.

His laughter echoes like a haunting melody around the shadowed room, and even Unit Enhypen seem to shift under the eerie weight of it. Dr. Kim's body shakes. His grin is so wide it almost splits his face.

"Shall we try this again?", he asks.

Sunghoon frowns and doesn't even wait a moment before rushing towards him.

Dr. Kim simply holds out a palm, and Sunghoon crashes into it like a concrete barrier. He flies back, crashing into the wall twenty feet away with an impact so hard a crater forms where he's smashed into it. Pieces of concrete crumble around him as he slumps to the ground.

You stare wide-eyed as Sunghoon manages to crawl onto all fours, a line of blood pooling over his bottom lip. He takes a strangled, gasping breath.

"Holy crap…", Jake mutters.

But Sunghoon clambers up again and heads for Dr. Kim. This time he's joined by the rest of the team.

They're all pummelled back with ease, landing in a spread of heaped, moaning bodies.

Dr. Kim smiles again, raising his hands in front of his face and flexing his fingers, "Oh, this is even better than I could have imagined!"

The team force themselves up and try again.

And again.

Then again.

Each time, they suffer a set of new injuries. Soon they look as bloodied as you do.

Dr. Kim's laugh continues to add a tormenting soundtrack to the painfully one-sided fight. Your mind is beginning to spin at the amount of blood oozing from your wound.

When the vampires go down the next time, Jake rolls onto his side and looks to Jay with a pained wince.

"We've got to do something", he says through a crackled voice, "Just running and hoping to land a hit isn't exactly working!"

You stare at the defeated team and realise he's right. Dr. Kim is stronger and faster…but there has to be a way to beat him.

Your mind pinches at the thought, blood loss making your breath light. Your head feels like it's drifting to the ceiling. But you do yoir best to focus, clamping your fingers tighter around your neck.

"What exactly were you planning on doing to defeat him?", you ask.

Jay rolls his exhausted attention in your direction and hesitates. Then he tugs something from the lower pocket of his combat trousers. A small syringe sits on his palm.

You have no idea what's inside, but it's obviously your only option.

"All right", you reply with a nod, then glance about the room with a flashing gaze. Dizziness plagues the edges of your vision, making it near impossible to see into the deep, damp shadows.