𝙾𝚗𝚎

𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟸𝚗𝚍, 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟸
"𝚆𝚎𝚕𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝙷𝚘𝚖𝚎"

☘︎︎

The only sound inside the car that late, Monday night was the whistle of the wind as it whipped past the window of the police cruiser. The moon was high up in the sky, casting a white light on the dark world on either side of the road. Music blared through the earbuds of Kingston Stilinski as the boy laid his head against the back of his seat and watched the world outside.

"You're quiet."

The boy could barely make out the sound of his father's voice over the loud Nirvana song that he was listening to at the time. But he heard it, and removed his headphones as he turned to face the sheriff.

"Not exactly sure what I'm supposed to say," The sixteen year old shrugged, removing the earbud out of his left ear to hear his father better, even lowering the music a bit. "I mean, I just don't understand."

"I get that." Noah said with a nod. For a moment, the younger boy thought he was going to continue, but he never did, causing him to shake his head with a sigh, turning to look back out the window.

"I at least deserve a proper explanation."

"We've told you why-"

"No. You really haven't." He cut his dad off and turned to look at him with the irritation clear in his eyes. "You sent me to live with Uncle Mike for, what, three months? And you're reasoning for doing so is such bullshit."

The sheriff didn't answer right away, trying to find the right words. "Stiles' health-"

"Don't feed me those lies."

"I didn't want you to have to see your brother like that, King." Noah said, glancing at his youngest son. "It was hard enough for me. For you..." He didn't continue.

"But now you expect me to believe he's magically better?" The words came out harsher than expected, and it hurt seeing how his dad's brows furrowed and he flinched.

The car was quiet after that, neither of the Stilinskis saying anything, just keeping their eyes on the world outside of the cruiser. It wasn't long until his familiar, childhood home came into view.

"Where's Sti?" The younger brother asked as they pulled into the driveway, lacking the rusty blue Jeep that his brother insisted in keeping.

"Camping with Scott and some other friends of theirs." His dad answered. "He should be back some time tomorrow."

Kingston didn't say anything as the pair rose out of the cruiser, the younger of the two hoisting his bag up onto his shoulder. When he turned to grab his suitcase from the trunk, he saw his sheriff father was already grabbing the piece of luggage for him.

"Head inside, kiddo." He said when he saw his son watching him. "It's late. I got this."

The boy merely nodded silently and turned to enter the house, using the key he had kept with him and pushing open the door. It looked exactly the same as he remembered it being all those months ago, with the lack of a spastic older brother filling the silent void.

He didn't waste any time in marching up the stairs to his bedroom, the first door on the right. His light flicked on with ease and lit up the darkened space, the sight of it brining a smile to his face. Clothes still laid unfolded on his dresser, and the textbooks from his last year's classes scattered the desk.

"Alright," His dad's voice sounded from behind him, the man carrying the boy's baggage and squeezing past him into the room to set it by his bed. "That should be everything."

King couldn't help but give the man a grateful smile. "Thanks, pops."

The sheriff gave a similar smile to his son, letting out a sigh as he walked back towards the door. "Get some rest, yeah?" When the sixteen year old nodded, he continued his pursuit out of the room. "Oh, and kiddo?"

The brunette turned his head to face his father. "Yeah?"

"Welcome home."

☘︎︎

𝚆𝚎𝚕𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 (: