Cold | Hyoga X Reader

8 year old Hyoga walked through the frozen landscape, rubbing his own biceps to feel warmer. His new mentor, a saint who already mastered ice like it was his own creation and was thus used to the cold, was guiding him through Siberia. They were both heading to the place where Hyoga would endure six years of training in combat from that moment on.

After hours, they eventually arrived. What was at the immense place didn't matter much to the young boy. What mattered more to him was what wasn't there. Because there was practically no sign of human life within a radius of half a mile. Only a small house, a certain distance from where Hyoga was now standing.

"The first important thing to start with", said Saint Crystal, "will be to take your hands off your arms. The cold is something you will need to get used to if you want to become the Cygnus saint."

Hyoga looked at him in disbelief. The master was smiling, but also seemed perfectly serious. Shaking, the young boy slowly took his hands off his biceps and stood straight, his arms aligned with the rest of his body. If he didn't shiver that much, it would look like the cold didn't matter one tiny bit to him. He looked up at his mentor, who nodded with a smile.

"We will start the real practice tomorrow", the older man said. "But today, you're going to start getting used to the cold. We will walk together for five hours. Everytime I see you show any sign of vulnerability to the cold, I'll make you walk five more minutes."

Hyoga nodded nervously. He wasn't wearing warm clothes. If they started walking now, it would only be a matter of minutes until he covered his arms with his small hands. Contemplating how much suffering he was going to endure, Hyoga looked around nervously.

That's when he saw, a little further away from him, a young girl running towards the mentor. The girl didn't seem very bothered by the cold. She was wearing a thick white coat and had a wide smile on her face. "I'm here!" she said joyfully, stopping right next to Crystal.

The man turned to her and laughed, ruffling her hair. Seeing that Hyoga was still looking curiously at the young girl, he kept a hand on her shoulder and told him : "Hyoga, this is my adopted sister, (Y/N). (Y/N), this is Hyoga, my new disciple."

Hyoga smiled and held out his hand to (Y/N), but the little girl decided otherwise. She walked up to him, her big smile still on her face, and hugged him tightly. At first, Hyoga was a bit surprised, but he eventually hugged her back, enjoying the warmth that their embrace was giving him.

"Now that you are here, why don't you come for a walk with us?" Crystal asked his sister. (Y/N) instantly nodded, and the three walked away.

|That evening|

Hyoga was finally done walking around in the cold. He had walked for 5 hours and 45 minutes in total, because he covered his own arms nine times. He couldn't stop looking at (Y/N) and her thick, warm clothes. Her being less vulnerable to the cold than he was had almost driven him crazy.

The two children now made their way to the small house that Hyoga had seen earlier. Crystal had decided to stay outside. The little girl looked at Hyoga, who now had no reason to hide how uncomfortable he was in this weather. She felt bad for him, realizing how frustrating it was to him. "I'm sorry that you're cold", she said to him timidly.

Hyoga turned to her. The look in her eyes showed that she really meant what she said. "It's okay", he responded, trying to make his voice sound as confident as possible. "After all, I have to get used to it."

The young boy was still shaking and rubbing his arms, and his words didn't make (Y/N) feel any better. The little girl unzipped her coat and took off her gloves, unveiling her small red hands. She then handed the three items to Hyoga. The boy looked at them hesitantly. He was cold; so cold he thought he'd turn into an ice statue in two seconds. But those clothes still belonged to someone he had just met.

"No, keep these", he told her. "You're gonna catch a cold if you don't."

"I have long sleeved clothes that will still keep me warm. You don't have sleeves at all", (Y/N) insisted. Hyoga was indeed wearing a shirt with short sleeves, while she had a tee shirt and sweaters with long sleeves on. Hyoga admitted to himself that she had a point, and eventually took the coat and gloves.

But he did insist on giving them back to her as soon as they reached the house.

Then the night came. Hyoga and (Y/N) had now gone to sleep in the same room. The blonde boy couldn't sleep : he hadn't been given a proper bed when he had arrived. Only a sleeping bag that was a bit bigger than him, with an acceptably thick blanket so that he'd be warmer. He was shaking, not as much as he had during his walk earlier but still shaking.

"I knew you'd still be cold", (Y/N)'s small voice mumbled. Hyoga sat up in his sleeping bag to see the girl. She was sitting in her bed, holding her knees adorably against her chest. "You're still going to tell me you don't mind, aren't ya?"

"Absolutely", Hyoga replied.

"I know that's what my brother said", the girl resumed. "But you have six years ahead of you. Can't you 'get used to it' later?"

"What else do you want me to do?" the boy asked. "It's not like I have a choice. I don't have a bed to sleep in. Well, at least not yet."

"Come sleep with me then", the girl offered. Even though there was practically no light, Hyoga could see her smile from where he was. The moonlight that was shining through the window lit up her face beautifully.

"Okay..." he accepted, getting up. (Y/N) went to sit near the edge of the bed, leaving her new friend more room.

As soon as they were both in the bed, (Y/N) pulled the cover to make sure it covered both of their bodies. "Goodnight Hyoga", her adorable voice whispered.

"Goodnight (Y/N)", Hyoga responded.

They soon both fell asleep, and during the night, Hyoga unintentionally hugged (Y/N) from behind, his arms around her waist. And when they woke up, neither of them moved.

The girl just smiled because she didn't mind in the slightest.