08. Healed Friendships

Carly knocked on the door to the guestroom before folding her arms and waiting.

After not getting a response, she knocked again.

After not receiving a response yet again, Carly yelled out, "I'm coming in."

She then proceeded to turn the doorknob, pushing the door open.

Carly looked around the bedroom to see that Andy was nowhere in sight.

The girl shuddered as a cold breeze enveloped her.

She looked to the window to see that it was open, the cold night's breeze flowing into the room.

The girl made her way towards the window, poking her head out to see Andy sat on the ledge, looking out to the night sky.

She cleared her throat, causing the boy to turn to face her.

"Can I join you?" Carly asked hopingly.

The boy nodded in response before turning to face the night sky again.

Carly quietly made her way unto the ledge, sitting down a few inches away from Andy.

"Uh, I don't know what happened and why you and your sister are here but I just want you to know that you guys are welcomed here, alright? Stay for however long you want and if you ever need anything just ask me." Carly had said, staring down to her hands.

There was a silence for a few seconds before Andy spoke up, shocking Carly.

"We were unto my fourth house."

Carly glanced to Andy with furrowed brows. "What?"

"My mom had only went for older rich men so far, who would always die of a heart attack or something." Andy had explained. "The third time she got married, it was to a young man, younger than her even. I thought that seeing as he was young, we would stay for longer than we had done with the past three guys but I was wrong."

Carly stayed quiet, allowing Andy to continue.

"I walked into the kitchen to see my mom making a smoothie. I was hungry so I took it and was about to drink it but my mom slapped my hand and took it. Told me it was for the man and to never do that again. I was confused but after the man had drank the smoothie and crashed right outside of the house, I realized."

Carly's lips parted as she too realized.

"My mom's a murderer." Andy whispered as he looked towards Carly, his eyes watering. "This was supposed to be our last stop before she moved us to the Caribbean where we were gonna stay forever. But her crimes caught up to her and now she's in jail."

Carly nodded understandingly. "Does Anna-"

"Anna found out later than I did but she only found out because mom told her." Andy had said before he turned to face the night sky again.

Carly frowned, also turning to face the night sky.

She understanded what Alicia did was for her children.

Alicia wanted her children to have a happy life but now they couldn't.

"But there's still hope." Andy had turned to face the girl. "Steve said he was going to get her out, he promised Anna and I he would."

Carly stared at Andy's hopeful face, his eyes glistening ever so slightly.

The girl gave him a sad smile before she wrapped her arms around the boy.

Andy was hesitant before he quickly wrapped his arms around Carly's waist.

And the two embraced each other, both hurting because of a parent's actions.