Dad

- Dad?

For a moment the world around me freezes. I can't believe it, for ten years this is what I wanted the most. Having my dad back and now he's here in front of me.

- Esra! My girl. I missed you so much.

After so many years I'm in my dad's arms again, it's like nothing else matters. His scent, his voice, it's like I'm living in a dream. In fact it is, soon the fantasy starts to break up.

- What's he doing here?

My dad finally notices Khan behind me.

- I don't want you near my daughter! Get away from her!
- Dad, this is not important now. We have so much to talk about.
- Esra, they are not good for you, my love. Stay away from this man and his family.

Khan looks uneasy but he doesn't fight back or interfere.

- Dad, please... Now is not the time for this.
- You are right.

He shoots Khan a menacing look but doesn't insist.

- Oh! my soul, my girl i missed you so much. Come on in.

Inside the house, Detective Demarco is already waiting for us.

- You knew my father was here across the street all the time and didn't say anything to me when I was here yesterday!
- What should I do? I couldn't ruin the hiding place, but it's too late now.
- Daddy, where have you been? You left me alone, I needed you so much.

He takes my hands and makes me sit across from him on the couch.

- Oh, my daughter. You should have stayed away from all this, I asked you to promise me.
- How could I live knowing that the man who caused my father's death was still breathing?
- What I did was to protect you, my love, not to throw you into the hands of this family. What are you doing married to Hakan's son?
- Dad, you disappeared because you were helping the police? That's true?
- Esra... It's much more complicated than you think.
- How? You know our code! How can you abandon me to become a snitch?

At this point I don't even care if the detective listens, I'm sure he already knows a lot. I take my hands off of him. I can't get over all the years I've cried for him, all the years I've prepared myself for a vain revenge, all the moments that have been taken from me.

- My dear, try to understand...
- Understand what? All the times I wanted my dad by my side? Every night I slept crying? What am I supposed to understand?
- Esra...
- You abandoned me. Why didn't you take me with you?

At this point I can't hold back the tears anymore, I feel I'm 16 years old again. Alone, helpless. I run out, I can't handle it all right now.

- Esra! Wait!
- Sorry, I can't, not now.

My dad tries to stop me but I don't look back. Khan is still waiting outside the house, he looks surprised when I run towards him and hug him.

Khan wraps me in his arms as if protecting me from everyone else.

- What happened?

I can't answer, I cry like the day I thought I lost my father.

- Esra! Please, don't go!

My dad runs out after me, when he sees me in Khan's arms he stops. His face twists in anger.

- Esra, come inside, let's talk.
- Dad, I can't do this now.

Khan keeps an arm around my shoulders protectively.

- You were safer away from me. I would never put you in danger, but when I saw the news that you married this man, I couldn't help it. I had to get back.
- Now it's too late to try to give me advice, I've lived alone for the past ten years. I can make my own decisions, I don't need you.