Partners in crime

Esra approaches me, my father is still standing looking at me defiantly.

- "Khan don't do that, you might regret it later."
- "You didn't want this for so long?  What is the problem now?"

I speak without looking at her.

- "But it's your father. You would have to live with that weight."
- "I don't care, he's not my father.  He's not the man I thought he was."
- "Who did you think I was? A criminal? With what morals do you come to judge me? Do you think you're just better than me, boy?"
- "We have a code, you broke our family code."
- "She made you weak like your mother and Oktay tried to do to me.  You really don't deserve to be called my son."

For the first time, my hand shakes as I grip the gun.

- "I told you not to talk about my mother!"
- "Khan... Please."

Esra's voice is like a call to light, she puts a hand on my shoulder carefully.  After a while, I finally put the gun down.

[Esra POV]

I heard screams coming from the office and arrived just in time to stop Khan from doing something stupid.  He has a gun pointed at Hakan, which challenges him with disdain.

- "I said that woman makes you weak."

Hakan laughs, despite my pleas Khan keeps his finger on the trigger.

- "Khan, please..."
- "Get out of here Esra!"
- "I'm not leaving. I will if you come with me."
- "First he will apologize for what he said about my mother."
- "I didn't tell a lie."
- "Khan... It's not worth it."

My hand is on his shoulder, he's completely tense.  I don't know if I can handle it.
I've wanted Hakan dead for years, I pictured myself doing it in many ways, but I don't want Khan to become his father's killer.

After a long moment, he finally lowers the gun.

- "I knew you wouldn't have the courage, you're weak like your mother."

Khan takes a deep breath, for a moment I think he's going to point the gun again but he doesn't.

- "You don't have a son anymore."

Khan speaks looking into his father's eyes, he turns and leaves.  He looks bewildered, I follow him and lead him to the car.  Now it's my turn to get him out of this situation as he did to me.

- "Come on, get in the car. I'll take you home."

He laughs, but without humor.

- "What House?"
- "I don't know, where do you want to go?"

I start driving not knowing where we're going.

- "Whatever."

Khan looks out the window, not caring which direction, so I take him to where I think he'll feel better.

We get to his penthouse, I take him inside.  Khan goes straight to the bedroom and sits on the bed with his hands over his face. I don't really know what to do, so I do the same thing he did to me.  I approach slowly and place a hand on his shoulder.

He suddenly hugs me, wrapping his arms around my waist, burying his face in my stomach.
I am paralyzed for a moment.
Khan looks so fragile, I can't push him away now.

I stand between his legs, Khan is like a boy seeking his mother's protection.
Slowly running my hands through his hair, he snuggles into my belly. We stay like that for a long moment until he speaks.

- "He said that my mother..."

His voice shakes, I've never heard so much pain in his voice before.  I've never seen him so vulnerable.