37. Special Chocolate

Athena

Three days later

What is up with him?

He has been avoiding me since I picked up the call instead of his steamy kisses.

Was he mad at me for doing that? That call was important.

He was currently in his study while I was in our bedroom with a book, but I haven't turned a single page.

I knew he was petty enough to avoid me for something silly, but he would give in quickly too. I gave him a kiss yesterday, clearly conveying through it that I want more.

He gently pushed me away going into his study.

He is now being just.....weird. Yesterday he didn't come home at the usual time and Shane had to go drag him from some bar. Again.

He wasn't exactly as drunk as last time but definitely couldn't stand straight.

He isn't even opening his mouth. The rude Ace was back. Blank, rude, less talkative, workaholic Ace.

All this because I decided to pick a call than have sex with him? I didn't know he was that petty.

I exhaled heavily, slamming the book shut and turning on my back. After staring at the ceiling for quite a bit I checked the time. 9:36.

Where was the old Athena? Who demands answers and doesn't stop pestering till she gets it? What's wrong with me?

I stood up stubbornly, striding out of the bedroom, and walked to his damn study. Without even knocking I barged in, and the first thing I noticed was the turned chair of Ace to the big glass window behind. I could see his arms beside the giant plush seat but what surprised me the most was the uprising smoke.

Beautiful pattern in a dark room and illuminated by the moonlight but still, he was smoking.

I didn't know he smoked.

"Came to stare?" Ace voiced from behind the chair but made no move to show his handsome face to me.

"Maybe." I muttered, walking up to his desk before going around it to face him.

Oh, he was drinking too.

"What is all this, Ace?" I asked in an annoyed tone staring at the whiskey bottle, the cigar in his other hand, and then at him, totally unimpressed.

"Drinking and smoking?" He almost asked making me glare at him but all he did was take in another puff of smoke.

"What the hell man." I scoffed, grabbing the cigar from him before disposing it in the ashtray.

Ace stared but did or said nothing. He slowly turned his gaze back to the glass wall and took the bottle, taking a generous amount.

"Alright, alright, enough." I gently took that away too, placing it beside him on the floor. Pondering for a moment and then after a little 'fuck this shit' I raised myself on my toes, getting on top of and straddled him. 

His arms were quick to snake around my waist, holding me steady as he stared.

"What's wrong?" I asked lightly, playing with his veiny hands as my mind clouded with thoughts.

He is been so weird lately. Eva and Alan were a bother but he didn't have a problem with it three days ago. It must be something else. 

"What is not wrong?" Ace muttered in exhaustion, his grey eyes vulnerable. I cupped his face, making him look at me.

"It will be fine. Everything will be fine, but till then you need to be strong." I murmured. Laying flat on his chest, I started drawing circles as he turned the chair so that half of me was beside the table and the other half to the glass wall.