47. Caring but Clingy

Athena

"What do you mean, you don't know?" I asked sharply, not having any energy to even think.

What bullshit am I hearing?

"He just, left a note yesterday night and said he wouldn't do anything stupid. Asked his uncle to take care of the business and he...left." Shane sighed in sorrow and tension.

The scenarios of him promising he wouldn't do something stupid and actually doing something stupid had my stomach flipping upside down.

Ace was a very strong and deserving man, he just hasn't realized it. He degrades himself, and the suicidal thoughts in his head should be tons with what he went through.

My hands trembled, I found it hard to keep the phone against my ear.

"I am sorry." Shane conveyed humbly. I couldn't even breathe. Where did he go, especially by writing a note like that?

"Don't worry, he will be fine. Goodnight." I replied shortly, trying to keep my voice steady as he hummed and hung up.

Why are you testing me so much, Ace?

I wiped away my tears hastily, assuring myself he would be fine. He is a grown-ass man, he won't do anything stupid.

That's exactly the problem, ever heard of a baby trying to suicide? You suicide when you are done with life. Ace has been fed up for years and the recent events are really just fuel to fire. 

Ugh, fuck.

I gripped my hair, the roots hurt but my mind was all over the place. Should I try to find him? Or trust him to come back safely?

A few, loud, pounds made me flinch, before staring at the wooden door. Who is gonna come in at this hour of the night?

I was hit by a sense of deja vu as I walked towards the door. And unlike other times I was hit by these senses, I was perfectly capable of remembering what it was.

It feels like the time I went to open the doors of the exact house when the storm happened. Ace was at the doorstep back then, now I don't even know if he is still in the country.

Not being dramatic, but he has a jet that is ready to take off at his command. That's enough to worry about.

I turned the doorknob and opened the door a crack. This was New York. I wasn't gonna trust whatever was behind the barriers.

"Ace?" I gasped, being hit by another wave of deja vu.

He looked like a mess. Wearing a jacket and jeans I didn't almost recognize him if it wasn't for his grey eyes.

Grey. Husband. Divorce.

I snapped out of my surprise.

He can't get in. NO.

I tried to slam the door shut but he blocked it, pushing in while I tried to keep him out.

"What the fuck do you want?! Get out, Ace!!" I yelled, desperately trying to hold my tears in as I pushed the door with all my strength.

Will it break now?

"Athena, enough with the games." He grunted making me even more furious than I was.

"Who is playing games here?! Me? You w- -ah!" I toppled over as the door burst open.

Fuck, he is in. Don't cry, don't cry.

I scrambled up seeing Ace slam the door shut behind him. His frame was rigid, his grey eyes brewing up a storm as he glared at me, locking the door.