50. Better Late than Never

Athena

He was here.

My husband was back.

I gulped my spit forcefully through the lump that started to grow in my throat.

"You are late." The disappointment was clear in my tone. That was so fucking rude but I wasn't gonna go easy on him for putting me through all that, just to come back to me.

"I am sorry. Better late than never?" Ace excused himself awkwardly and I knew that instant he was guilty for doing all that shit.

All I did was stare at him incredulously.

That quote was a relief but it was a pain too.

"I am sorry, I really am." Ace muttered sincerely, leaning down for a kiss but I pushed his face back, almost scratching the Greek God in the process.

My husband clamped his mouth shut seeing the way I glared at him.

"You are sorry? I was turning an alcoholic and you are sorry? My business is a lost cause and you are sorry? Our marriage, my heart, me. You broke everything, and you are fucking sorry?" I growled, hot angry tears rimming my eyes.

"At- -"

"No. I am not blaming you for doing that, I know it was difficult for you too. But why did you leave?" I demanded, crossing my arms as he stared at my figure in desperation not knowing what to do.

"Athena, I know love, I regret that. That's why I came back." Is this guy serious? Am I ever gonna get back my one year? He depressed me to no end.

"You should have been here."

"I should have."

"You should have been here." I repeated, advancing him menacingly.

Ace broke his gaze immediately, clearly giving me the message that he wasn't here for a fight.

"Why weren't you here? I hate you, you ruined everything. Why, why the fuck weren't you here, with me, right when I needed you?" I hit his chest and the more I spoke, the more it turned to a growl.

Tears ran down my cheeks, wasting my precious salty water like nobody's business.

Ace looked distraught, wincing when I hit him very hard by the end. Maybe he thought it was enough because he gripped my arms before another launch of attacks.

Twisting my arms gently behind my back, Ace pushed my body into his, slamming his lips on mine the next moment. Tears gushed out my eyes feeling his soft lips against my own skin.

How I wished for this. No prayer was ever uttered louder than this. To be with him.

Pulling away after the sweet long kiss, Ace stared down, his grey eyes filled with sorrow.

"Yes, I should have been here. I messed up."

Understatement.

I decided to give my poor husband a break before I would go to war against him. I simply leaned into his chest, my nostrils filling in his lovely scent.

Here I was, trying to get rid of my husband who I am leaning onto right now.

Ace kissed my forehead. He sounds and looks so much more....free. Fun. As if the weight of the world wasn't on his shoulders.

Ace kept touching me as we danced to the next song. I wanted to die right there, in that blissful moment since I don't think I will get it again.

Will he leave again?