43. Goodbyes

Ace

My chest burned as I turned to the mansion, eyeing for any signs of her calming existence.

Her car was still here, which made me sigh. Guess I have to put up another drama.

The lump in my throat only kept growing as I tried to swallow it away. Taking a deep breath, I got out of the car and opened the mansion doors.

The first thing I saw was Athena running down the carpeted stairs, her angelic face covered in fiery tears. Her hair flew over her shoulder, her wavy dress looked like it had the wind in them. She was dressed up making me frown internally.

Did she actually sign the papers? She must have finally understood her worth, and how it's not fit for me.

Rude. Be rude. She will hate you and you won't make it hard for her at least.

I was about to open my mouth in an angry retort about why she was still here. But it all got stuck in my throat when she engulfed me in a huge hug, knocking the air out of me.

My breath hitched. I felt her tears wet my shirt but she didn't sob, she didn't let out any noise. I did not breathe in, I didn't want to get smitten by her sweet chocolaty scent when this was goodbye.

Goodbye.

I winced at the word. This is not fucking happening. I finally decided to give her a hug back, but unfortunately, that's when she decided to let go.

She let go. She fucking let go.

Good for her.

"I am sorry, I probably made you uncomfortable again." Athena sniffed, pulling away as I pressed my lips into a frown.

"I thought I asked you to leave before I come?" I asked, my own insides clenching at how rude that tone was.

She makes me realize a lot of things. She makes me realize myself and my surroundings. Halfway through, I have to let her go.

"I am sorry, I...I packed, I am leaving." She mumbled lowly, rubbing her hand on her arm up and down till she let out an awkward shrug, hastily wiping her drenched face dry.

"I guess...goodbye Ace. I love y- - I love the places you took me, I love this mansion and the time we spend together. Thank you." I stared at her pained face, quickly breaking the red and puffy ocean blue eyes away from my gaze.

I clenched my jaw knowing exactly what she was about to say.

"Your welcome. Now leave." I held the door open and she smiled at this.

Smiled. She is not human. What is she? How can anyone be like this?

Athena walked off to her car, glancing at me one more time before driving off my property. I stared at her car as it rolled smoothly through the long, curved, gravel driveway, and out of the mansion's magnificent black gates.

I was letting her go. I fucking did the stupidest thing ever.

My chest ached, the lump grew so strong I almost choked, it was starting to block my only form of respiration.

"....I love you too." I bit my lip hard as soon as I whispered that.

I wish she heard it. I would get a beautiful smile in answer, maybe the same words back before she would chuckle and ask me if i want a chocolate shake.

Life hated me.

I slammed the door shut and rushed to my study before I had to face anyone. Flopping down on my chair I fumbled with a cigar, quickly lighting it up with shaky hands.