Chapter Fourteen : Getting to Know You

Lucas managed to shift his thoughts, no longer thinking with the head below his belt. He decided to stop drinking his wine and poured himself some water from the pitcher on the table. He didn't need alcohol clouding his senses and he didn't want to overstep any boundaries.

"You already know I work at Produce Palace, what about you? What do you do?" Megan asked swishing her wine around in her glass.

"Oh, I own Sad Inc." he told her, which made her about spit out her wine.

"You? You own Sad Inc.?" Megan asked in disbelief, Sad Inc. was one of the largest tech companies in the US.

He chuckled a bit at her reaction. "Yes, I inherited it from my father when he passed away a couple years ago."

"Oh, that must have been a lot to take on," Megan said empathically.

"Yes it was. I wouldn't have made it without Charlie," he said with a sigh.

Megan nodded. She had almost forgot he was married. She could never be a real partner in this relationship, right? I mean they would always love each other more than her. They would never love her. She would just be a person to fool around with in the bedroom every now and then... right? Megan rid her brain of these thoughts and smiled at him.

They made pleasant conversation and realized they knew nothing about each other before coming to this date. He didn't even know her last name, which was Houston by the way. When it came time to order Megan realized she hadn't been looking at the menu and instead had been enthralled by Lucas. She looked down sheepishly at her menu. Lucas offered to order something for her to which she nodded with a relieved sigh. Lucas ordered the same thing for both of them and immediately turned to Megan once the waiter walked away.

"Megan, have you always lived in this city?" He asked her with a smile.

"No, I used to live with my mom in the countryside. Then after... things happened I moved to the city to live with my grandma. She took care of me until the day she couldn't and then I took care of her," Megan told him with a sad smile and a distant look in her eyes.

Lucas reached across the table and took her hand in his. She smiled at him and assured him she was alright. Then they changed the subject and talked lightheartedly until their food got there. They ate and laughed and drank. Overall, it was a good first date.

The bill came and Lucas didn't let her see the price, already knowing she would refuse to come here again and let him spend so much money on her. It was clear to him that she was used to worrying about others and not herself. She moved to stand and he quickly pulled her chair out for her. She thanked him shyly, she had never been treated this way.

"Thank you for tonight, I really had a fun time," she told him as they walked arm in arm out of the restaurant.

"It's not over yet," he told her with a glint in his eye.