Chapter Fifteen : Paparazzi

"What are we doing?" Megan asked.

They had gotten in Lucas's very sleek and expensive looking car. He drove them to the park downtown. Once they had arrived Lucas had opened Megan's door for her. She stepped out into the cool night air and shivered slightly. Lucas frowned at that before taking off his blazer and draping it over her shoulders.

"We're going for a stroll," he told her, wrapping an arm around her waist as they walked.

She smiled and tugged the blazer, that smelled deliciously like him, tighter around her. They walked in a comfortable silence for a while. It was very dark, only illuminated by a street lamp every now and then. Lucas stopped in front of the lake and sat on the bench, patting the seat next to him. She smiled and sat down.

"I love this place, it's so peaceful," he told her with a sigh.

She looked over to him only to find him already staring at her. Megan smiled sheepishly. Lucas cupped her cheek and slowly leaned in. Megan closed her eyes and then his lips met hers. Megan moved her hands from her lap to his chest. For just a moment, they were in their own little world. Then their world caved in as a flash went off.

Lucas pulled away, cursing under his breath. Megan squinted as she looked over to the man who had been following them without their knowledge. The man had a camera pointed at them. He chuckled and took a few more pictures before darting off.

"Fuck," Lucas groaned, running a hand over his face.

"What was that?" Megan asked, confused and looking at him.

"Fucking paparazzi. I should have known they'd follow us," Lucas sighed as he stood up.

"Is that bad?" Megan asked, feelings slightly hurt that he didn't want to be seen with her.

"Well, considering that I'm married..." he trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck.

Megan nodded. She had forgotten about Charlie. Megan had been right. She could never be an equal partner. The world wouldn't be allowed to know about her. She had been a secret far too often in past relationships. She didn't know if there would be a second date, but she had to admit she did enjoy herself. She took off his blazer and handed it back to him.

"I think I'd like to go home now," she whispered, not looking at him.

He sighed and nodded. They walked back to the car in a thick silence. Their drive back to her apartment was filled with an awkward silence. Megan muttered a thank you for the evening and then got out of the car and walked into the lobby.

"How was the date?" James asked.

"It was ok... but I don't think there will be a second..." Megan said with a sigh.

"Oh?" James asked hopefully.

"I'll talk to you later, I'm tired," she quickly excused herself and headed up to her apartment.