Chapter Eighteen : Publicity

"So, how has life been?" Charlie asked, stirring her sugar into her coffee.

Megan and Charlie were now sat at the back of the diner, per Megan's request. Megan sighed before taking a long drink of her chocolate milkshake. Charlie's eyebrow raised.

"That good huh?" She asked with a frown.

"Well for starters, Im getting harassed by plenty of men. I got fired from my job because it was "bad for publicity." I'm behind in school. I don't know where I'll be able to find another job. Ashley is going to end up having to pay the whole rent by herself. It's all because of that damn picture," Megan ranted and was now close to tears.

Charlie stood up, making Megan look up at her. Charlie gestured for Megan to scoot over, so she did. She took a seat next to the teary eyed girl and wrapped her arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer.

"If there's one thing I know, it's publicity. Bad and good. I have just the thing to turn this around," she told her, wiping a stray tear.

Charlie took out her phone and went to Instagram. She took several pictures of her and Megan. Megan eventually relaxed and told herself she just needed to trust Charlie. They took plenty of silly and goofy ones. Then Charlie kissed Megan's cheek in a picture. Megan gasped and turned red. Charlie put her phone down and placed a hand on each side of Megan's face and kissed her softly. Megan responded immediately, putting her hands on Charlie's thigh and squeezing lightly. After a moment, Charlie pulled away.

"The first one is just for us. The second one is for the world," she said before angling her phone at them and kissing Megan once again.

~

Megan and Charlie's date ran rather long. Their date was casual and laid back. They had both enjoyed themselves thoroughly. When it was time to go, Megan reached for her wallet. But before she could pull out any money, Charlie handed her card to the waitress. Megan pouted.

"You know you don't have to pay for me," she mumbled.

"I know, but I want to. I've got the cash to spend. Where you said you were in a tight spot right now," Charlie said gently.

Megan sighed and nodded. Charlie and her walked out of the diner after the waitress brought back Charlie's card. Megan paused and looked at Charlie.

"Thank you for the wonderful time," Charlie said before giving Megan a gentle kiss.

Megan felt her heart flutter and her toes curl. Charlie offered her a ride home, but Megan insisted she was fine and could walk a couple blocks. Megan waved to Charlie as she got in her car before speeding off.

~

Megan plopped down on the couch and stared up at the ceiling. Lucas would probably find out about their date and be upset. She sighed and took out her phone before Ashley bursted in through the front door. Megan shrieked and nearly dropped her phone.

"GIRL! You were with Charlie?!" She squealed.

"W-what? How do you know?" Megan asked.

Ashley pulled up her Instagram and showed her the picture of Charlie and Megan kissing.