Chapter One *Promises Are Made*

Gabby closed the door to her apartment and leaned against it. It had been two weeks since Matt's fire accident and he was supposed to be discharged, but he never came home. Before Gabby could take the bun out of her hair, she heard quiet knocking on the front door. Gabby quickly took the bun out and let her silky dark brown hair fall onto her shoulders. When she opened the door, she could feel her heart beating fast.
Matt stood at the door with his hands in his pockets. They both stood there, not knowing what to do for a couple of seconds until Matt stepped forward and kissed her passionately. Gabby was breathless by the time she pulled back and Matt kissed her neck. Right then and there all the memories started to flood back into Matt's mind.
"I've missed you," Matt said, giving Gabby a big hug, and gently closing the front door. Matt pulled back and pinched the bridge of his nose as a tear trickled down his cheek.
"I'm sorry....." he said in a cry, laughing tone. Gabby rubbed his shoulder and smiled. Tears started to roll down her cheek, and when Matt saw this, he rubbed his thumb over her cheek to catch her falling tears. "Gabby, I'm so sorry for the way I treated you before. Is there a chance that you would take me back? I love you and only you. I know that now," Matt said, as they sat down on the couch. Gabby leaned in and gave Matt another kiss and hugged him even tighter.
"Baby..... You really hurt me. I worried about you even when we weren't together and it seemed like you didn't care about me. I felt like just a fling. When you ran into that building when you heard a baby crying and you didn't come out, I thought that you weren't alive. In the ambulance, I actually thought you wouldn't make it,"
Tears started forming on Gabby's face again and Matt hugged her, rubbing her back and whispering, "Hey..... I'm here now. I'm okay. I'm never going to leave you again, I promise,"
Gabby sat up and stared into Matts blue eyes, getting lost in the moment. She ran her hand through his dirty blond hair and kissed him. "I'm liking this between us.... It seems like now ever since our break we can talk about anything," Gabby said when she pulled back. Matt gave her a grin and nodded his head. "I totally agree," he answered kissing Gabby again, lying on the couch with her, never wanting to leave the position they were in, arms around each other, and whispering I love you every now and then. Matt had missed this, and he was a jerk for leaving her in the first place, he knew that. He promised her he was never going to leave her, and it was a promise he was going to keep.